Richelle and Emma here with another bookish unboxing! This time we're unboxing The Nocturnal Reader's Box which can be found on Crate Joy just like OwlCrate. It's a horror themed bookish subscription box (as if I get any other kind of subscriptions). It costs $35 a month without shipping so I pay right around $40 a month for it. Every box includes an enamel pin, two books (a new release and a previous release), an art print, a bookmark and some other bookish goodies, all horror themed. Recently they've started doing t-shirts fairly frequently but I've got so many t-shirts I have my account set up to receive tote bags instead of t-shirts.
So here's the outside of the box and the Nocturnal Reader's Box logo and then what you see when you open the box and remove the paper packing material to get to the actual items. That thing right there in the middle made me very excited because everything I've got packed like that is a glass and I LOVE glasses and mugs!
Next up is this months pin which according to the spoiler card is a WWI soldier in its final form from the book Summer of Night by Dan Simmons. This book also sounds really good and Dan Simmons is the author of one of my favorite books, The Terror, which I am currently rereading. It's a thriller based on the story of a real arctic expedition and ship called the HMS Terror that was lost in the arctic ice back in the 1800s but his telling of the doomed expedition has a dark twist. If you haven't read it, read it!
Next is a bandanna with art on it from Mongrels by Stephen Graham Jones. Certainly not my favorite item I've received from them but it's pretty cool nonetheless. I don't know much about it but judging from the image on the bandanna and the synopsis on Good Reads I think it has kind of a Native American legend aspect to it which could be pretty cool.
Then there's the art print for this month which is super creepy. I like the sketchy indefinite design to it and it will definitely go on my wall along with the rest of the horror art prints from these boxes. The spoiler card says this is from The Deep by Nick Cutter. Like most of the other things I get in this box I don't readily recognize it but the Good Reads page makes me think I'll like it with the plague aspect to the horror story (plague and disease based horror fiction is my favorite).
There's the bookmark that's pretty creepy. It's zombie-like bodies in a forest/swampy area. Black and white, super creepy. I love their bookmarks every time. They're small but very high quality and durable.
The first book I pulled out was the prior release which is Cast a Cold Eye by Alan Ryan. It's from Valancourt books and is an Irish ghost story with a ritualistic element to it. It's pretty short but sounds pretty good.
Finally I got to the last book which is the new release and it's a beauty. It's a hardcover with images on both the dust jacket and naked book on both the front and back. The book is S:ES by Koji Suzuki which is the 5th book in the Ring series. I've seen The Ring, never read the book, but I love the movie. I think it's wonderfully scary. According to the spoiler card The Ring series has related books but not necessarily books that are sequels so you can read them in whatever order you want which is good because I am so excited to read this book. So first up is the front and back of the dust jacket in that order.
Front:
And BACK:
And then the naked cover itself which also has printing on it (unlike most hardcovers).
FRONT:
And BACK
And then a close up of that little printed piece that's on the back of the book both on the dust jacket and the book itself.
This book looks and sounds so delightfully creepy. It has the same video tape related curse theme as The Ring but somehow creepier (there's a synopsis on the wikipedia page linked above, I couldn't find this book on Good Reads). Also disclaimer here, this book is considered a new release because the English translation was only released in December 2017. The book was released back in 2012 in Japan.
So that's the February Nocturnal Reader's Box. I think my favorite item is either the tote bag or the pint glass, but I do love the new release book.
Cheers and Happy Reading!
No comments:
Post a Comment