Since I'm getting back into this blog, here's my April TBR. It will include challenges I'm participating in as well as what I'm planning on reading and why (if applicable). As I've already put in my April Book of the Month order I'll share that as well. So here it goes with my TBR.
- Deathless Divide by Justina Ireland (2020): This is the second book in the Dread Nation series about a girl named Jane McKeene who was trained in a combat school as an attendant to protect rich women from threats both dead and alive. After the fall of Summerland, Kansas in Dread Nation Jane and the other survivors have fled to another neighboring town and her adventure continues in search of her mother and revenge. I like the alternative history plot and especially the Civil War era zombie story. The first book was a fun ride and I'm looking forward to reading the second.
- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (1868): I watched the new movie version of this and decided the book was worth a reread so this is my first audio book of April. I really enjoyed the book when I read it back in high school and I really enjoyed the movie as well so I know I'll enjoy the reread of this.
- Valentine by Elizabeth Wetmore (2020): a new release debut novel about the lasting effects of a brutal crime against women in a small town in Texas. This is the Read with Jenna April pick from the Today Show and I hope to actually read this. This was a Book of the Month choice for April but with the state of things I bought this one on the Kindle and already have access to it.
- The Hunger by Alma Katsu (2018): this is an author I found recently because of the publication of her latest book called The Deep. This is a historical fiction horror novel surrounding the Donner Party expedition. As the Donner Party travels darkness grows and evil is involved in the misfortunes that befall them. This sounds like a really good horror novel with a twist and I'm really into dark historical fictions at the moment.
- Queen Victoria: Twenty-Four Days That Changed Her Life by Lucy Worsley (2019): a nonfiction biography of Queen Victoria via 24 crucial days in her life. After watching the Victoria PBS series I have been completely fascinated with her and her life and I've had this book checked out from the library for a while.
So my Monthly Motif's challenge for April is Classics or Currents: Read a book published before the year you were born OR a book published between April 2019 and April 2020. Which for me is a book published before 1988 (classic) or between April 2019 and April 2020. This month I have two options for currents: Valentine by Elizabeth Wetmore published in March 2020 and Deathless Divide by Justina Ireland published in February 2020. I can also use Little Women by Louisa May Alcott as my Classics option as it was published well before I was born. I'll read my way through the month and pick one to use for this.
Finally, I have actually already put in my Book of the Month club order since the app has the new books by the last day of the previous month. I chose three books this time:
- The Library of Legends by Janie Chang (2020): this is a historical fantasy that takes place in 1930s China during the Japanese bombing of Nanking. When they flee the city, the main character Lian and her classmates are entrusted with the Library of Legends, a 500-year-old collection of myths and folklore. AS they travel across China keeping the library safe they awake figures from the mythology they protect. This sounded like a great fantasy story set on a backdrop that I haven't really read anything from.
- The Paris Hours by Alex George (2020): a historical fiction about artists in 1920s Paris. The characters: Camille, is Marcel Proust's maid who instead of burning all his manuscripts saved one to keep; Souren, an Armenian refugee who performs puppet shows; Guillaume a lovesick arts running from a debt who has Gertrude Stein walk into his studio; and Jean-Paul, a journalist who tells other people's stories but has a painful one himself. Their paths cross over a single day in 1927. I like historical fiction, the 1920s, and the arts so this sounded fascinating.
- Beach Read by Emily Henry (2020): this was a book already on my TBR that is going to be published in May so this let me get it early. It's a contemporary romance about two writers: Augustus who is an acclaimed literary fiction author and January who writes happily ever after romances. For three months they're in neighboring beach houses and they both have writer's block so they decided to swap genres and hijinks ensue. This is a cute fluffy romance about one of my favorite things...books so what could be better.
Anyway that's what my April looks like so far. Soon I'll do a more in-depth post about what reading challenges I'm participating in and what I've read so far that fits into those challenges. But that's it for now.
Happy Reading!
Richelle and Emma








No comments:
Post a Comment