Monday, May 11, 2020

Reading Challenges

Hello Interwebs!

I've been promising this blog post for a while so here it is...my 2020 reading challenge breakdown! So I casually work on some online reading challenges just to push myself to read things that may be a little bit outside of my comfort zone or to give myself ideas of new things to read when I hit a slump.

First of course is just my GoodReads Challenge. This year I wanted to read at least 40 books, any books, any genres, any format. I know a lot of people don't count things like audio books or whatever but to my challenge anything goes, especially since I'm trying to branch out and listen to some more audio books.

Second is the 20 in 20 Challenge from A Bookworm's Musing. It gives a variety of prompts and the goal is to read 20 Fiction books and 20 Nonfiction books that fit the given prompts. The prompts are:

  1. Crime Fiction/True Crime
  2. A book set in the country where you are currently residing
  3. A book with a (mostly) white cover
  4. A book with day/night in the title
  5. LGBTQ related book
  6. Book originally published in the 1990s
  7. Book about mental health/dealing with mental illness
  8. A humor book
  9. A book from an author you chose for another category
  10. Book with 11 letters/characters in the title
  11. An epistolary book
  12. A book with a calendar month in the title
  13. A book you read in your childhood days
  14. Book translated into English from another language
  15. A book with more than 500 pages
  16. A book that has something to do with sports
  17. An illustrated book
  18. A wartime book
  19. A book that has won the Sahitya Akademi Award for English
  20. A book earlier reviewed by A Bookworm's Musing
So far this is going well enough. I have plans for most of the prompts and I've finished some. The two most challenging I've found is #10 and #19, but I recently started Thunderhead by Neal Shusterman which has 11 letters in the title so that one's taken care of. I'll go through and post what I've finished and what I have left to accomplish later. 

As I mentioned in my May post I'm also doing the Monthly Motif Reading Challenge from GirlXOXO. Each month has a theme or motif and you choose a book that fits into that theme. So far this one's going the best as most of the motifs are pretty broad and open to interpretation. 

Finally I'm kind of doing the 52 Books in 52 Weeks challenge from Mommy Mannegren. It's just a set of 52 prompts and the goal is to read one book a week in 2020. I'm currently right on track to hit the 52 weeks goal and most of the books on my TBR I can fit into multiple categories so it's fun to see how many books I can fit into the prompts on this without really trying. 
So far I'm doing pretty good on the challenges. To be honest I'm not going too far out of my way to force myself to stay in these confines but more just slotting books I've decided to read anyway into prompts that fit. Whenever the summer reading challenges are posted I'll probably find one of the bingo-style ones to work on this summer. 

Anyway that's the reading challenges I'm casually participating in. Expect to see a couple reviews this week and maybe an unboxing or two. 

Happy Reading!
Richelle

No comments:

Post a Comment