Saturday, February 5, 2022

22 New Books in 2022

 Hello Interwebs!

So I'm still sick. I'm over Covid but then my son brought home a cold from daycare that I came down with and then I got a stomach flu that he brought home and then my cold came back so now it's been a thing and I'm just now on the upward slide of things. Hopefully we'll get some blogging done, and some reading. 

This is the promised 22 new books in 2022; these are books that are releasing in 2022 that I'm the most excited for. There's a variety of books but this list is very horror/thriller heavy because that's what I like to read and I don't intend to pretend otherwise. So without further ado here are my 22 books (in roughly release date order). 

  1. Mestiza Blood by V Castro (1.18.2022): this is a short story collection based on the Chicana experience and is a mix of urban legends, folklore and real life experiences. 

  2. Such a Pretty Smile by Kristi DeMeester (1.18.2022): this is a horror about something known as The Cur whose out there killing women, especially troublemaking women and the women who fight back against it and expectations. 

  3. Dead Silence by S.A. Barnes (1.25.2022): this is a sci-fi horror that is described as titanic meets the shining so I'm here for this with no other information needed. 

  4. Jawbone by Monica Ojeda (2.8.2022): this is a book about two girls who are as close as sisters and the darkness they are dabbling in which culminates in one being estranged from the other and taken captive by a teacher. 

  5. The Lake of the Dead by Andre Bjerke (2.15.2022): this is a Norwegian crime novel being published in English for the first time about a lake where a tragedy occurred which is now cursed and haunted by the perpetrator of a terrible crime. 

  6. Sundial by Catriona Ward (3.1.2022): this is a new book by the author of The Last House on Needless Street which was a book I highly enjoyed from last year. This is a psychological horror about a mother and daughter returning to the desert town the mother was originally from and the dark things that happen there. And to be honest....this cover is AMAZING.

  7. The Book of Cold Cases by Simone St. James (3.15.2022): this is about a true crime blogger who gets more than she anticipated when she interviews a woman acquitted of a two cold case murders. This book takes place in Oregon (where I'm from) and I loved The Sun Down Motel by this author so I'm looking forward to this one cuz crime blogs and murder in my home state. 

  8. The Children on the Hill by Jennifer McMahon (4.26.2022): this book is described as being inspired by Frankenstein, one of my favorite classics, about a psychiatrist in the 1970s who brings home a strange girl to where she lives with her grandchildren and then modern day where a child is abducted and a podcaster goes to search for the monster sighted in the area. 

  9. The Fervor by Alma Katsu (4.26.2022): this is another one of the twisted historical horror fiction novels that I love from Katsu which includes The Hunger (about the Donner Party) and The Deep (about the Titanic), this one takes place in the internment camps of WWII and that's all I need to know. 

  10. Book of Night by Holly Black (5.3.2022): I have no idea what this book is about but it's Holly Black's first adult fantasy and I'm here for anything by Holly Black all the time. 

  11. Book Lovers by Emily Henry (5.2.2022): this is an adult romance about a cutthroat literary agent, Nora, who goes on a girls trip away with her sisters and instead of running into the small town man for her own romance she keeps running into a book editor, Charlie, who she knows from the city. I love books and romances about books and rivals to lovers so I'm good for this. 

  12. The Hacienda by Isabel Canas (5.10.2022): this book is described as Mexican Gothic meets Rebecca as a supernatural suspense novel set during the Mexican war of independence and involves a remote house and a haunting. 

  13. Something Wilder by Christina Lauren (5.10.2022): this is another adult romance by an author of one of my favorite romances, The Unhoneymooners. It's about the daughter of a notorious treasure hunter who uses his hand drawn maps to guide tourists on fake treasure hunts. Then there's the man she used to love who shows up for one of her trips. 

  14. Our Crooked Hearts by Melissa Albert (6.28.2022): this is a new fantasy by the author of the Hazelwood which is one of my favorite dark fairy tale fantasy books. This is a dark contemporary fantasy about a mother and daughter and dark forces they should have left alone. 

  15. Long Live the Pumpkin Queen by Shea Ernshaw (7.5.2022): this is a novel about Sally coming into her own as the Pumpkin Queen after the events of The Nightmare Before Christmas. There is nothing I love more than The Nightmare Before Christmas and after reading my first book by Shea Ernshaw this year I am very excited for this one (this one doesn't have a cover reveal yet). 
  16. Lore Olympus, Volume 2 by Rachel Smythe (7.5.2022): this is the second volume bind up of my favorite (and only) web comic which is a Hades and Persephone retelling. I've had this one preordered since the first volume came out in 2021. 

  17. The House Across the Lake by Riley Sager (7.7.2022): this is a rear window type thriller about a woman who is watching the glamourous couple who lives in the house across the lake from her own house before befriending them and seeing something sinister about her new friends. As much as I complain about these rear window style stories I will read anything written by Riley Sager so I'm down for this one too. 

     
  18. How to Sell a Haunted House by Grady Hendrix (7.12.2022): the new Grady Hendrix novel that twists haunted house stories on its head about how your past and family can haunt you. There's only a vague description and no cover art about this yet but I'm considering this my birthday present as it comes out on my birthday this year. 
  19. The Daughter of Doctor Moreau by Silvia Moreno-Garcia (7.19.2022): this is a reimagining of The Island of Doctor Moreau set in 19th century Mexico and follows the daughter of Dr. Moreau and the overseer who assists the doctor in his experiments as well as the hybrids created by the doctor. The the son of Moreau's patron arrives starting a chain reaction of dangerous passion. It sounds amazing to be honest and the cover is beautiful. 

  20. Don't Fear the Reaper by Stephen Graham Jones (8.2.2022): this is the sequel to My Heart is a Chainsaw which was my favorite book of 2021 as well as my all time favorite horror novel to date. This is the second book in a trilogy and I'm so excited and preordered both a kindle version and a hardcover version of this book the second I learned it was happening. 

  21. My Imaginary Mary by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows (8.2.2022): this is the second book in the Mary series by the Lady Janies and it is a historical fiction about Mary Shelley and will involve Ada Lovelace and automatons and fae and I'm here for anything this writing team puts out. 

  22. Fairy Tale by Stephen King (9.6.2022): this is the new Stephen King novel about a teenaged boy who inherits a key to a parallel world where the forces of good and evil are at war. This sounds more fantasy than horror and it sounds so good and I'm already excited for it. 
So there's the 22 books I'm most excited about for 2022, most of them are horror/thrillers but I have six (maybe seven depending on how the Stephen King book goes) that aren't. Although three of those I would consider horror adjacent with the dark nature of the fantasy and historical fiction. 

Happy Reading!

Richelle


No comments:

Post a Comment