Hello Interwebs!
So this it is now May and aside from the books I've already got started and my two book club books I will be reading for May this is the first month that I'm going to be doing my TBR jars (which I literally finished Friday morning). So I have a series of jars that I'm putting little capsules with my TBR books on them by genre: horror/thriller; classics/retellings/poetry; general fiction/historical fiction; sci-fi/fantasy, nonfiction; romance. Each gets a jar so I can pull books out at random to read. In addition to my physical TBR books I've also put in a set number of Kindle slips and free slips to pick an ebook or any book I feel like reading. So I pulled one book from each jar and got a good selection for this month.
First up I have the two books I already have started.
- House of Earth and Blood by Sarah J Maas (Crescent City #1): this is an audiobook that I started back in March and I'm about halfway through with it. I got distracted by other books on my audible so maybe I'll pop back to this one in the next month.
- Delilah Green Doesn't Care by Ashley Herring Blake (Bright Falls #1): this is a paperback romance novel about Delilah Green, a photographer from New York who returns to her small town origins to photograph her stepsister's wedding and falls for one of her stepsister's friends, Claire Sutherland a single mom of a preteen daughter who owns a bookstore in Bright Falls. I'm about sixty percent done with this one and I put it down for Spring Fling-o-Ween and I should be finishing this up in the next week for sure.
- It Happened One Summer by Tessa Bailey: this is the Schitt's Creek based romance that I've been wanting to get into and I will read it as soon as Delilah Green is done.
- The Haunting of Ashburn House by Darcy Coates: this is The Book Troop May pick. It's a haunted house/ghost story horror novel by Darcy Coates and I have it on paperback and Kindle Unlimited and hopefully this will become my first Darcy Coates book to finish.
- Crying in H Mart by Michelle Zauner: this is my Literati book this month for Megan Rapinoe's The Call Is In Book Club. This is a memoir about about a young Korean American woman who loses her mother and talks about her Asian-American identity and her relationships with her family, especially her mom, and food. It sounds good and I'm excited to read it.
- When the Reckoning Comes by LaTanya McQueen: this was from my horror/thriller jar. This is a recent horror novel about a black woman who returns to her hometown for her best friend's wedding on a plantation turned posh resort complete with slavery reenactments. During the wedding weekend the friends have to face history both their own and the haunted history of the plantation. People keep raving about how great this story is so I'm excited for it.
- The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One by Amanda Lovelace (Women Are Some Kind of Magic #3): this was from my miscellaneous jar (classics/retellings/poetry) and it's the third book in her first poetry trilogy and the only book in that trilogy I haven't read. Her poetry books are my favorites and I am looking forward to this for sure.
- The Paris Hours by Alex George: this was out of my general fiction/historical fiction about a single day in Paris in 1927 and a collection of people: a maid of Marcel Proust, an Armenian refugee, an artist who has Gertrude Stein walk into his studio, and the journalist who tells other people's stories as their lives cross on this one fateful day. It sounds good and I've had it on my book of the month shelf for ages.
- Riverman: An American Odyssey by Ben McGrath: this book is my nonfiction TBR jar pick and one I heard about because it was the Outside magazine pick for April. The draw from the jar was actually a Kindle book which I have this on the kindle and also an audible version which is probably how I'll end up reading this. It's a nonfiction adventure type story about American folk hero Dick Conant who canoed solo along thousands of miles of American rivers before disappearing in North Carolina.
- Ice Planet Barbarians by Ruby Dixon (Ice Planet Barbarians #1): this was also a kindle pick from my romance TBR jar and another TikTok made me do it book. This is alien smut and that's all I got for you about it.
- Fullmetal Alchemist Volume 1 by Hiromu Arakawa (Fullmetal Alchemist #1): this was my sci-fi/fantasy jar pick and is for the manga series that my favorite anime is based off of (Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood). I have the first seven volumes of this in the Fullmetal Editions and I'm for sure going to read just the first volume but maybe more than that. It's about two brothers who are alchemists who are working for a way to get their lives back after they perform taboo alchemy.











No comments:
Post a Comment