Friday, September 2, 2022

September Preview

 Hello Interwebs!

So despite last month going completely off the rails in terms of my TBR plans, I have a September TBR anyway! First off I went through my 52 Books in 52 Weeks challenge and picked some books that will fit some of my missing prompts. There's also some new releases coming out in the next month or so that I need to finish up the previous ones to read. So there's quite an eclectic mix for my TBR for September. First up I have my book club books. 

  • I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings  by Maya Angelou: this is a memoir and it's my Literati book club pick which is Brynn Elliott's The Art of Philosophy group. This is a classic and I haven't ever read it which is rather shameful so I'm going to read it this month. 

  • The IT Girl by Ruth Ware: this is the book club pick for both The Book Troop and the Literally Dead Book Club. This is a new thriller by Ruth Ware who I've found pretty up and down with the books. This follows a girl whose friend from Oxford, April (the titular IT girl), is murdered by the end of their second term there. A decade later the man who was convicted of her murder is killed in prison and new evidence comes out that he might not be guilty after all. Not gonna lie I kinda love this dark academia vibes for September and I've had this book since it came out in July and have just been waiting to read it. 

Then there's the other thirteen books I've put on my TBR for the month. Two have been started, one physical and one audio, and a bunch of other books I am wanting to work on this month. 
  • The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell (The Family Upstairs #1): this is a reread/relisten since the sequel came out last month and I have the Book of the Month edition of it. I got the audiobook on Libro FM and I started it on August 25th. This book is about a young woman who inherits her biological parents' house on her 25th birthday and finds out that her parents were related to a small cult with two families, three of the adults ending up dead while the four children/teens disappeared save for the baby in her crib, the baby who is now 25. You follow 3 perspectives: Lucy a grown woman with two children living rough in France who comes back to England after she receives a message that the baby is 25; Libby who is the 25 year old woman who finds out she's the baby from the mystery at the house, and Henry in the past whose family owned the house before the other family moved in, the ones who began the cult. I really liked this the first time I read it and the audio book is fun because there's a different narrator for each character's chapter which helps the listening quality. I'm about 75% of the way done with it now and enjoying it just as much as the first time. 

  • The Murder of Mr. Wickham by Claudia Gray: this is a mystery featuring characters from Jane Austen novels who have come together for a house party that is crashed by the dastardly Mr. Wickham from Pride and Prejudice who then turns up dead and someone's a killer. The two youngest in the party Jonathan Darcy (the eldest son of Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth from Pride and Prejudice) and Juliet Tilney (the daughter of Henry and Catherine Tilney from Northanger Abbey) have to solve the case. I'm three chapters into this and I love it a lot. 

So those are what I'm currently reading and then I have a whole list of things I want to read apart from these. I'm heading to the valley for the weekend next weekend for Comic Con so I'll try to get at least something on audio for the weekend to listen to while driving but I'm not sure if it'll be something off this list or something I already have or something else entirely. 
  • The Family Remains by Lisa Jewell (The Family Upstairs #2): this is the sequel to The Family Upstairs and I literally know nothing about that and I'm totally okay with it. 

  • A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik (The Scholomance #1): this is also a reread and is a dark academia book about a magic school, the Scholomance, where most of the attendees end up dying in the ultra dangerous school. Loved this the first time around and I am reading the first two books  in the trilogy before the thrid and final book is released at the end of September. 

  • The Last Graduate by Naomi Novik (The Scholomance #2): this is the second book in the Scholomance trilogy and I am going to read this in preparation for the final book's release in September. 

  • Gerald's Game by Stephen King: this is one of the Stephen King books I've gotten from Pango recently. This follows a woman whose husband dies in the middle of a sex game with her handcuffed to a bed in their secluded cabin and then shit starts happening. I've heard this story is brutal and I am in the mood for brutal. Plus this fulfills the prompt for a book with "game" in the title for my 52 Books 52 Weeks. 

  • Suspicious Minds by Gwenda Bond (Stranger Things #1): this is one of the prequel novels for Stranger Things and follows the group of scientists in the 60s doing the experiments at Hawkins Lab which leads to the events of the first season. I am all Stranger Things all the time right now and books should be no different. 

  • My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix: this is another horror novel by Grady Hendrix and is about a girl who thinks her best friend is possessed and stages an exorcism. This is supposed to be a movie soon so I want to read this one especially since I've really enjoyed other books from him I want to get to this one. 

  • Clown in a Cornfield 2: Frendo Lives by Adam Cesare (Clown in a Cornfield #2): this is a sequel to Clown in a Cornfield which I read in July for Summerween. This is one of my favorite horror books of all time and probably my favorite book of the year so far. I am very very excited for this. 

  • Carrie by Stephen King: this is King's first novel and I absolutely adore the movie so I'm excited to read this. Plus I feel like it's a good back to school season horror. It's about a girl Carrie White who is tormented by her super religious mother and classmates but is telekinetic and gets her revenge at prom. 

  • Smashed by Junji Ito: this is another short story horror manga collection which I picked at random from my unread Junji Ito. I love his stuff and am going to try and finish the rest of his books in the next couple months. 

  • Follow Me to Ground by Sue Rainsford: this is a horror novella and one I thought about during August when I was having some problems with reading in general. Plus the book is beautiful and I'm looking forward to it. 

So that's it, everything I'm hoping to read in August and I am ready to go!

Happy Reading!
Richelle

No comments:

Post a Comment