Saturday, March 31, 2018

Double Book Review

Hi Everyone!
I've got another book review for you today but this time it's a double review since it's March 31st and I have not been blogging hardly at all the second half of this month. Please forgive me my little brother got married today and this month has been just one thing after another but here it is. Book review today and then the last book review maybe tomorrow (if I'm not dead after work), two unboxing posts and then the March recap and April look ahead. Hopefully these posts will all be in the next week so here's the old college try. Anyway so today its a double review, S:Es by Koji Suzuki and A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle.
Caution: Spoilers Ahead!

First up was S: Es by Koji Suzuki which is book number 5 in the Ring Cycle. I received this book in my February Nocturnal Readers Box and had been looking forward to reading it because, quite frankly, the book looked awesome. It had a super creepy cover with artwork on both the dust jacket and on the hardcover itself which is always awesome. It is also a book in the Ring Cycle which is the book series the movie The Ring is based off of. I love the movie The Ring, it was my go-to horror movie for a long time and I was really excited to read this book that was part of the series. That all being said, I was disappointed in this book. It started off very slow and at best the book was sort of boring, at worst it was very, very weird. So it takes the original girl from the Ring, the one who possesses the video tape and adds a twist: if a woman who is currently ovulating watches the tape (or as you later find out, reads the book) instead of dying in a week's time like in the movie and the original story, they become pregnant with a reincarnated version of the girl. So it follows this guy and his girlfriend/fiancee who is pregnant and instead of being a horror movie its really more of a thriller because someone's following her and it turns out its this guy who was involved with the original story  who is killing all of the reincarnated versions of the girl but then he dies, presumably pushed by the girlfriend, and they all live happily ever after. Honestly, the book was disappointing. I expected much more of it but if you like thrillers and who done its and don't mind the weird reincarnation subplot it would be a pretty good book, just definitely a weird one to be part of the Ring Cycle. I finished S: Es on March 8th, read it in one sitting immediately after finishing A Court of Thorns and Roses and I gave it a 3/5 stars on goodreads. 

Second book on this review was A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle. This book was one I reread, mostly because of the new movie that came out earlier this month. I read it once a long time ago, probably 5th or 6th grade and I remembered the book pretty fondly. Overall, it's not one of my very favorites but it's still a good book. It follows the story of a girl named Meg Murray who has three younger brothers: twins Sandy and Dennys, and the baby Charles Wallace. Their father is away, presumably working on something for the government, and one night Charles Wallace introduces Meg to the strange women Mrs. Who, Mrs. Which, and Mrs. Whatsit who reveal their father is out there fighting the darkness and needs help. So Meg, Charles Wallace, and her friend Calvin go with the women to go and try to rescue Meg's father from an evil entity called simply IT. In the process of saving their father they lose Charles Wallace to IT and Meg has to rescue her beloved baby brother all by herself with only the power of her love for him and his for her to defeat IT once and for all. It's the first book in a quintet that I received for Christmas and I read once about twenty years ago, except for the fifth book which is a more recent release. Like I said I still enjoyed the book and the feelings it evokes are very nostalgic for me but it's not one of my favorites. The religious overtones of the book have places where it really hits you over the head, which I really don't enjoy as it comes off being very preachy. Second, the ending to the book is very abrupt. Meg is facing off with IT over Charles Wallace one minute then her love breaks the spell/hypnosis Charles Wallace is under and he runs to her and then all of a sudden they're home and celebrating with their father and Calvin. All in all though a solid read. I finished this book March 17th and gave it a solid 4/5 stars on goodreads.
Anyway that's all from us for tonight, keep your eyes open for another book review for books read in March, two more unboxing posts, and the March recap/April preview.
Happy Reading!
Richelle and Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment