Saturday, March 17, 2018

March Uppercase Unboxing

Hi Again!
I'm back with another unboxing. This time I have an Uppercase box. Uppercase is another YA subscription box that focuses more on the books rather than the bookish goodies that come with the book. It's a newly released hardcover YA novel signed by the author plus 1-3 extras. It doesn't have a theme like Owlcrate and some of the other boxes so you can't really guess what the book is going to be. This is the first time I've gotten Uppercase but I've seen great reviews of it and decided to give it a try. For the full box it's $23 a month, but you can also buy just the book or add on extra items leftover from previous boxes. I had a promo code that got me a free extra item as well. So without further ado this was the March 2018 Uppercase box. It comes in a plain mailing envelope but when you open it up you have a little pouch with everything in it.
It's a little cloth pouch with the book and all the goodies inside it. So first I went for the goodies to save the book for last since it's always the best part of every box.
First I pulled out this magnet with a little cat with glasses that says Bookish. It's a pretty big magnet, about two inches in diameter. It's already on my fridge along with a Psycho magnet I got out of a Nocturnal Readers Box. I think it's super cute and who doesn't love magnets. 

Second thing I pulled out was a little packet with a necklace in it. It's pretty nice quality and it's got a little comma charm on it. I love it so much. I actually wore it today (my box arrived yesterday) but I ended up snagging the chain and breaking it. Fortunately I had a chain on a necklace I don't ever wear that works with the charm so I swapped it out, no harm no foul. It's adorable and I love the subtle reader/writer vibe of it. 

The last goodie in this box is this little notebook from Sweet Reads. It says 'write this minute' on the front and it's lined which is nice. I like that it has both the little rubber band to keep the notebook shut plus a little attached ribbon to use as a bookmark. You can never have enough notebooks so I always like getting more. 

Finally there's just the book. It's one I hadn't heard of but it sounds really good. And I absolutely love the dust jacket of this book. It's so beautiful, front and back both. 



It's called Ink, Iron, and Glass by Gwendolyn Clare. It's about a girl, Elsa, who comes from this land that was written into existence through a process called Scriptology and her mother is constantly changing and altering the reality they live in. Then they are attacked and Elsa's mother is kidnapped so she crosses into the real world to find her. The real world part of the book takes place in an alternate version of Victorian Italy where she finds a group of scientists who she enlists to help her as an assassin shows up. It sounds like it's got a very steampunk vibe to it, which is great for me because I love steampunk and it's nice to find a steampunk-style novel that takes place somewhere outside the UK. From the Goodreads page it sounds as if this is Gwendolyn Clare's debut novel but that it's planned to be the first of a series of sorts. The cool thing about Uppercase is that you also get a bookmark with the book which has a page number with a corresponding code that you put into the given website for extra content while you're reading the book. So I'm looking forward to seeing what comes up when I play with that. 

Finally, I did have a promo code that got me an extra item with my Uppercase box this month. It's another notebook! This one is Hogwarts themed from Harry Potter and I love it (once again you cannot have too many notebooks). 

Anyway so that was the March Uppercase Box. I liked everything in it and I'm going to get it a couple more times to see how it goes. I'm taking a break from my Nocturnal Readers Box because while i do love it I haven't really been reading the books and they're stacking up. I read much more YA than anything else so I'm going to play around with some of the YA book boxes like Uppercase and Owlcrate. Maybe I'll try out some others. The plan is to get some more book reviews done this coming week given I've read three more books since my last one and have posted about exactly none of them. So that'll happen some time this week. 
Emma really liked the notebook that came in the box. 
Happy Reading!
Richelle and Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment