Hello Interwebs!
After reading almost solely novels and memoirs this year I decided to switch it up with a book of poetry. the witch doesn't burn in this one by Amanda Lovelace is the second volume in her Women are Some Kind of Magic poetry set. It follows one called the princess saves herself in this one and is followed by the mermaid's voice returns in this one. They're slam poetry style books that promote female independence and ferocity. I read the first one a couple years ago and to be honest I was kind of wishy washy on it. But this one I adored! I think it might be the overarching theme of women being seen as witches whether they are actual witches or just strong women with ideas of their own. As someone who follows a pagan path, one I will write more about at a later date, the idea of witchcraft and women empowerment is one that resonates with me very strongly. It also definitely went back to a phrase I see on t-shirts a lot: "we are the granddaughters of the witches you couldn't burn". I don't have anything with the slogan on it but as soon as I find a design I really love I plan on owning one. The poems are all free form verse fitting into an empowering overarching theme of women being burned as witches and rising from the ashes like phoenixes and coming into their own power. It's really hard to write a full review on a book like this but I really enjoyed it and I recommend her poetry highly if it's your thing (or even if it's not). I gave it a 4/5 stars and I intend on actually getting the full set of her poetry sometime. I read it between August 10 and August 16th.
Happy Reading!
Richelle and Emma

No comments:
Post a Comment