Hello Interwebs!
So for the rest of the year instead of having a monthly TBR I am going to do a "Seasonal" TBR, so for all of Autumn and going into Winter. This time of year I want to read horror and mystery and thrillers and dark fantasy so I went through my shelves and my library lists to come up with a mass TBR of these types of books. Other books may be read in these three months but these are the books I'm planning on getting to.
First up, library books I hope to get to. I have five already checked out as physical copies from the library and a bunch either checked out as eBooks or on my wish list as Ebooks and audiobooks.
- The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware (2016), mystery thriller.
- Different Seasons by Stephen King (1982), horror anthology contains the novellas: Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption, Apt Pupil, The Body, and The Breathing Method.
- Docile by K.M. Szpara (2020), science fiction/dystopia
- The Institute by Stephen King (2019), horror
- His Hideous Heart by Dahlia Adler, editor (2019), YA horror anthology
- Sin Eater by Megan Campisi (2020), historical mystery/thriller
- Poe's Children by Peter Straub, editor. (2008), horror anthology
- The Only Good Indians by Stephen Graham Jones (2020) horror
- Zoo by James Patterson (2012) science fiction/thriller
- The Troop by Nick Cutter (2014) horror
- Bird Box by Josh Malerman (2014) horror
- Cursed by Thomas Wheeler (2019) YA fantasy
- The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires by Grady Hendrix (2020) paranormal
- The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides (2019) thriller
- Truly Devious by Maureen Johnson (2018) YA mystery/thriller
- Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (2011) YA fantasy
- The Witches: Salem, 1692 by Stacy Schiff (2015) nonfiction
- Parasite by Mira Grant (2013) horror
- Feed by Mira Grant (2010) horror
Next I have all the Kindle books I own that I want to read this fall.
- One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey (1963) classic.
- The Girls in the Garden by Lisa Jewell (2016) thriller
- A Good Girl's Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson (2019) YA thriller
- My Lovely Wife by Samantha Downing (2019) thriller
- The Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager (2018) thriller
- The Babysitter by Phoebe Morgan (2020) thriller
- Carrie by Stephen King (1974) Horror
- Infected Waters: A Titanic Disaster by Alatheia Morgan (2016) horror
- The Night Swim by Megan Goldin (2020) thriller
- The Babysitters Coven by Kate M Williams (2019) YA paranormal
- The Butterfly Garden by Dot Hutchison (2016) thriller/horror
- Stalking Jack the Ripper by Keri Maniscalco (2016) YA mystery
- Dark Tales by Shirley Jackson. Horror anthology.
- The Beautiful by Renee Ahdieh (2019) YA paranormal
- Alice Isn't Dead by Joseph Fink (2918) thriller
- All Your Twisted Secrets by Diana Urban (2020) YA thriller
- The Merciful Crow by Margaret Owen (2019) YA fantasy
- Seed by Ania Ahlborn (2011) horror
- Coraline by Neil Gaiman (2006) YA paranormal
- H.P. Lovecraft's Book of the Supernatural by Stephen Jones, editor (2007) horror anthology
- The Shining by Stephen King (1977) horror
- Starvation Heights by Gregg Olsen (2005) true crime
- Island of the Dolls by Jeremy Bates (2016) horror
- Brave New Worlds by John Joseph Adams, editor (2011) dystopia anthology
- The Terror by Dan Simmons (2007) horror
- The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (1959) horror
- A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab (2015) fantasy
- Serpent & Dove by Shelby Mahurin (2019) YA fantasy
- The Perfect Family by Jacquie Underdown (2019) thriller
- NOS4A2 by Joe Hill (2013) horror
- The Last of August by Brittany Cavallaro (2017) YA mystery
- Dark Places by Gillian Flynn (2009) thriller
- The Guest List by Lucy Foley (2020) thriller
- Into the Water by Paula Hawkins (2017) thriller
- The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen (2018) thriller
- The Deep by Alma Katsu (2020) horror
- Pet Sematary by Stephen King (1983) horror
- The Lost Causes of Bleak Creek by Rhett McLaughlin and Link Neal (2019) YA mystery/thriller
- Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia (2020) Gothic fiction
- Wilder Girls by Rory Power (2019) YA horror
- The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James (2020) paranormal thriller
- Baby Teeth by Zoje Stage (2018) horror
- The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul Tremblay (2018) horror
- The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton (2018) mystery/thriller
- In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware (2016) horror
- Tuesday Mooney Talks to Ghosts by Kate Racculia (2019) YA mystery
- The Swap by Robyn Harding (2020) thriller
- This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab (2016) YA fantasy
- Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (1938) gothic thriller
- Where Dreams Descend by Janella Angeles (2020) YA fantasy
- The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black (2015) YA fantasy
- Cemetery Boys by Aiden Thomas (2020) YA fantasy
- Horrid by Katrina Leno (2020) YA horror
- These Witches Don't Burn by Isabel Sterling (2019) YA paranormal
- Roseblood by A.G. Howard (2017) YA fantasy
- Vicious by V.E. Schwab (2013) science fiction/superhero
Finally, I have a couple books I've read previously that I may read again in order to watch something or read something else. So here's a couple books that may get a reread this season.
- Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie (1937) mystery; there is an upcoming movie adaptation of this movie coming out as a sequel of sorts to Murder on the Orient Express. I've read this book before but I haven't read it in a long time so I'd like to refresh myself on this one.
- IT by Stephen King (1987) horror: they just finished the two part movie version of this and I saw part one in theaters when it came out but the second part came out last year around the time I saw my son so I didn't see it. I recently got a copy of the movie and I'd like to reread this since the last time I read it was almost 15 years ago.
- Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn (2006) thriller: this was one of the first thrillers that was really gripping to me. HBO did a limited series version of this novel starring Amy Adams and now that I have the HBO expansion on Hulu I'd like to reread the book as a refresher before I watch the show.
- The Complete Tales and Poems by Edgar Allan Poe, mystery/horror anthology. What's Halloween without a reread of some Poe?
- The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving (1820) gothic horror short story: also a Halloween necessity.
- The Millennium Trilogy: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2008), The Girl Who Played with Fire (2009), and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (2010) by Stieg Larsson. mystery thriller. I read these the year the last book came out in the US while on a road trip vacation from Oregon to Oklahoma with my family. Not going to lie, these books are great and I want to rewatch the Swedish version of the films again.
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (2011) fantasy. Truth time...I DNFed this book last year at about the halfway point. Everyone is freaking out about this and her most recent book so maybe I'll try this one again.
- The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman (1892) horror short story. This is a great short story that I read for the first time in college and I'd love to reread it.
- Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (2001) paranormal urban fantasy. This is the first book in the Sookie Stackhouse series that the HBO show True Blood is based off of. I'd really like to do a blog series comparing the books and the show sometime like I did with The Babysitter's Club. These books were quick reads and amusing so definitely worth the reread.
- Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (1962) horror. This is the quintessential Halloween novel for me and hits all the best boxes for me: fall, Halloween, monsters, and circuses/carnivals.
- Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (1818) horror: this is one of my favorite books I had to read in college and I'd like to do a reread eventually.
So that's is, all the books I could conceivably read in the last quarter of 2020. There's a lot of possible books I can be reading and I think I've got some real good ones on here. I have no doubt I'll read some of these but I will definitely not be reading all of them.






















































































No comments:
Post a Comment