Hello Interwebs,
So I realize that we're already a week and a half into October but life and work are crazy so this happens when it happens at this point. But here's my October TBR. At the end of September I drew ten books from my TBR jar and the remainders ended up on this TBR along with the books for my various book clubs this month and one book I picked myself. Nine of the ten books from my TBR jar ended up on this list. I read and finished Sour Candy by Kealan Patrick Burke in September.
First up, my TBR jar picks:
- In My Dreams I Hold a Knife by Ashley Winstead (2021). This is a thriller about a group of friends who return to their college for a reunion and end up getting pulled into solving the mystery of who killed one of their group their senior year in college. Spoiler alert, I've already finished this book and it was fine.
- The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James (2020). This is a thriller about a girl working at a motel who is experiencing the same mysterious things that her aunt did thirty-five years earlier.
- My Heart is a Chainsaw by Stephen Graham Jones (2021). This is described as being a love story to Slasher films. It follows Jade, her town outcast, as her world gets upended by killings in her town surrounding the lake.
- The Turnout by Megan Abbott (2021): this is a thriller set in a family-run ballet studio and a newcomer who threatens to destroy their façade. I did ballet as a child and I am down for a thriller that takes place in a ballet studio.
- Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman (1995): the classic witch story about two sisters and their elderly aunts whose family has been blamed for everything wrong in their town and a desire to escape.
- My Lovely Wife by Samantha Downing (2019): this is a thriller about a married couple who keep their marriage alive by killing women together. This is a very popular and highly rated thriller so I'm excited.
- The Shining by Stephen King (1980): the quintessential haunted hotel story from Stephen King. This is and always will be one of my favorites and is always worth a reread.
- The Guest List by Lucy Foley (2020): this is a thriller about a wedding that's taking place on an island off the coast of Ireland when someone turns up dead and someone else is a murderer.
- Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell (2018): This is about a girl named Ellie who disappeared when she was fifteen and her mother Laurel who hasn't given up looking for her in the ten years since her disappearance. Then she meets a man and his nine year old daughter who is the spitting image of Ellie.
I'm pretty excited about my TBR Jar picks for October. My only issue is that it's very thriller heavy TBR for October so I might still sub some things in and out to read more horror this month.
Next up are the reading club picks for this month. As always we have the Book Troop pick, the Olivia Reads a Latte patreon read, Chelsea's patreon read, and my Literati book.
- The Last House on Needless Street by Catriona Ward (2021): the description of this book is kinda vague on Goodreads but its about an ordinary house at the end of an ordinary street and involves a serial killer and a kidnapped child and revenge. It sounds good and I kinda hope to get around to it. This is the October pick for The Book Troop.
- Savage Lands by Stacey Marie Brown (2020): this is a fae dystopian romance which sounds fine. I have this and the other books in the series on my kindle. I don't know if I'll read it this month or not but I'll probably read it eventually. This is Chelsea's patreon read for the month.
- White Smoke by Tiffany D Jackson (2021): this is a YA horror book that's marketed as The Haunting of Hill House meets Get Out so I'm down for that. This is Olivia Reads a Latte's patreon book pick for October.
- The Plot by Jean Hanff Korelitz (2021): this is a thriller about a writer teaching in a third-rate MFA program whose struggling to write/publish something else. Then a student says he doesn't need his help and the plot of his book in progress is a winner. Then the student dies and the writer steals his plot and publishes it as a bestseller. Then he gets emails accusing him of theft. This book also sounds pretty good. This is the Literati book pick for Elin Hilderbrand's The Beach and Beyond club.
Finally I do have one book I have picked up and immediately decided to read in October, which is my very first horror Manga. That is Uzumaki by Junji Ito. This is a horror manga about a town infested by spirals and all the wild and horrifying things that happen there. I've already started this book and so far I am loving it.
So that's all I have going for me in the month of October. Look for book reviews as I finish books in this month as well as my Halloween/Fall décor in my house and other such content as I have time. Unfortunately as I work twelve hour shifts three days a week for the time being I am very busy and will keep trying to keep this blog up to date as much as possible but no promises on anything.
Happy Reading!
Richelle














No comments:
Post a Comment