Hello Interwebs!
So here we are in July. I don't have many concrete plans for reading in general in the month of July but there's a few books I am wanting to get to this month as well as another OliviaReadsALatte and GabbyReads readathon, Summerween! But first the normal TBR I have going right now.
So I have a couple books on the go already.
- The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers (The Wayfarers #1): this is a sci fi following a young woman named Rosemary Harper who joins the crew of the Wayfarer in an effort to start over again. The description gives me Firefly/found family vibes and I'm enjoying it so far (I'm only about four chapters in so far).
- House of Earth and Blood by Sarah J Maas (Crescent City #1): I started this in like March or April on Audible and then got distracted by other things so we'll see if we get any further with this. I'm about halfway through and still have 12 hours left on the audiobook...this book is a chonker. That being said, Hunt is probably my favorite of Maas's leading men from any of her novels...and I will fight you on that one.
- Yours Cruelly, Elvira by Cassandra Peterson: this is a memoir by Cassandra Peterson who played the iconic Elvira. I started this at the beginning of June for pride month since she's come out as being in a longtime relationship with another woman. It's really fun but I kind of fell away from audiobooks in the last month or so but I'll try to finish this one as well. I have about 5 hours remaining here. As a horror loving girlie I love, love, love Elvira (I will fight you on that as well).
So those are the books I have already started. I have three others that are on my TBR for July two are for book clubs and the third is one I have from the library that I need (and want) to read before I have to return it.
- The House Across the Lake by Riley Sager: this is the July pick for The Book Troop book club and this is the newest thriller by Riley Sager. I've read three books by him so far and I've really enjoyed all three of them (Lock Every Door, Home Before Dark; Final Girls). It follows a recently widowed actress who goes to a lake house for peace and quiet and watches a glamorous couple across the lake from her. She ends up befriending them and then the wife disappears and she's pulled into the mystery of her disappearance. I'm trash for the rear window tropes so I'm ready for this.
- The Brilliant Abyss by Helen Scales: this is the Literati book club pick for the Atlas Obscura book club (which had the book I wanted to read this month) and it's a nonfiction book about the mysterious life found in the deep oceans. It sounds really good and it has photos which I love!
- Manhunt by Gretchen Felker-Martin: this is a dystopian horror where men have gone feral and you follow a group trying to survive in this landscape. It involves transgendered and nonbinary people and addresses the dangers they face in this new world which is very similar to the ones they face currently. This book sounds interesting and I love the cover.
Finally July is also Summerween! Yay! Summerween will be from July 15th to the 21st and like always there are a number of prompts and I have picked out probable books for each one.
- Read a book in the dark or at night
- Read a book with Halloween colors on the cover (orange, black, purple, green, yellow, red, etc.)
- Read a book with 'haunt' in the title
- Read a slasher
- Make or bake a treat to go with your spooky reads
So for this I've picked three books I mean to read and since I work nights I am constantly reading in the dark/at night.
- Three Miles Past by Stephen Graham Jones: this is my pick for Halloween colors on the cover with this orange/brown/yellow fall looking cover. The cover gives me some serious Walking Dead vibes. This is a short story collection by my favorite author so I'm pumped for this.
- The Haunting of Gillespie House by Darcy Coates: this is my pick for 'haunt' in the title. This is a Darcy Coates haunted house story. I read my first Darcy Coates in May with The Haunting of Ashburn House and really enjoyed it so I'm here for this.
- Clown in a Cornfield by Adam Cesare: this is my slasher pick. This is a summery YA horror slasher that everyone seems to love (and I follow the author on TikTok) and since the sequel comes out later this year this seems like the best time to read it.
So that's my concrete plans for July. I have a list of books that give me summer vibes in a variety of genres that I can glance at if I am just not feeling it so I'll probably add in other books, especially since I have a week off for my birthday this year. This will be a fun reading month I just know it.
Happy Reading!
Richelle









No comments:
Post a Comment