Saturday, July 23, 2022

Summerween Wrap-Up

 Hello Interwebs!

So yesterday was officially the last day of the Summerween readathon and although I didn't finish my last book until earlier today I'm counting it as three books finished during Summerween and all the challenge prompts were fulfilled. To remind you of the five prompts for Summerween we've got: 

1. Read a book in the dark or at night

2. Read a book with Halloween colors on the cover

3. Read a book with 'haunt' in the title

4. Read a slasher

5. Make or bake a treat to go with your spooky reads


So I ended up with a change in book  during the week. After finishing Clown in a Cornfield by Adam Cesare I tried starting Three Miles Past by Stephen Graham Jones. I read the first section of the first short story in it and just wasn't feeling it so I put it down and subbed in The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires by Grady Hendrix. 

So without further ado we'll go prompt by prompt and discuss what I read for it and my thoughts on it. 

1. Read a book in the dark or at night: So full disclosure I do work night shift so I read a bit on each book at night either while working or at lunch or while I stay up late on my nights off. So all of the books worked their way into this prompt. 

2. Read a book with Halloween colors on the cover: So originally I had planned to read Three Miles Past by Stephen Graham Jones for this prompt but after the first section I wasn't feeling the vibe so I switched it out for The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires by Grady Hendrix and let me tell you I am so glad that I did. This book was a riot. It had super summer vibes and with the book club themes and everything it was a great Summerween read. I read it from July 17th to 23rd and gave it a 4.25 star rating. 


3. Read a book with "haunt" in the title: I read The Haunting of Gillespie House by Darcy Coates for this prompt and I actually really enjoyed it. Although I had a paperback copy of the book and the Kindle Unlimited version for my phone I ended up downloading the audio version and listening to it at work. This was a really quick read and I thought it was a lot of fun plus it had major cult vibes which I love in books. I listened to this from July 21st to July 22nd and gave it 4.25 stars. 


4. Read a Slasher: this was absolutely my favorite read of Summerween which is no surprise since I LOVE slashers-movies, books, doesn't matter I am here for it. So I chose Clown in a Cornfield by Adam Cesare for this prompt and I loved it. My first blog for Summerween has a full review of this and I pounded it out in about twenty-four hours and it is a new favorite book for me. I'm already looking forward to the sequel which comes out next month. I read this from July 15-16th and gave it a 5 star rating. 


5. Make or bake a treat to go with your spooky reads: I had a muffin kit for cinnamon streusel muffins from Betty Crocker so I made those and enjoyed them with some Bigelow Hot Cinnamon tea and some Bones Coffee Company Frankenbones (chocolate hazelnut) coffee during my reading sessions, especially at night. 




So that's everything for Summerween this year. I really enjoyed everything I read this time and found a new favorite book. 


Happy Reading!

Richelle

No comments:

Post a Comment