Here I am with another OwlCrate unboxing. OwlCrate is a monthly YA subscription box that features an exclusive, signed edition of a newly released hardcover book along with a variety of bookish goodies related to a theme. It's my very favorite subscription box that I've gotten and I've never been disappointed with it yet. So without further ado, July's OwlCrate.
So this month's theme was Strange and Unusual, which I was very excited about. First up in the box is the spoiler card and pin. I happen to love the buttons they give in these boxes and have quite a collection of similar ones. This month's card is particularly cool.
It's a kid of doing some kind of fortune telling, it looks like he's got tarot cards along with his skull and candles and behind him (I think he looks kinda like Mike from Stranger Things personally) are three people who I think are the spirits he's summoning to talk to which is definitely Poe on the far right, maybe one of the Brontes on the far right, and I'm not so sure about the one in the middle. Anyway I love the creepy vibe of it.
Next up was this little pennant flag. It's based off the book series Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs . It says Stay Peculiar and has a little pocket watch and a bird on it. I think it's adorable and quirky and it's definitely going on my wall. The spoiler card says it was designed by Risa Rodil who designed the zipper pouch we got in a previous box (February's I think).
This was the item that they heavily teased both on the preview card in June's box and in the sneak peak emails. They said that there would be a Stranger Things licensed item as well as a Funko pop key chain. I was pretty sure that they were the same item and I was right! According to the spoiler card you could've got Dustin or Eleven. I'm super excited I got Dustin, he's one of my favorites! If you haven't watched Stranger Things yet, you need to go straight out and DO IT NOW.
So this one I thought was amazingly hilarious. They're mints in a Ouija board tin! AND the mints look like planchet that's used to play with the Ouija board. I think this is super cute and the mints are actually pretty good. I'll definitely keep these in my purse.
OwlCrate has the best and most unusual exclusives sometimes! I love these little pushpins in their little test tube bottle packaging. The little skulls with their little green star eyes are super cute and I'm definitely going to have to figure out somewhere to use them in my room.
So this is a super nice hinged wallet with a little detachable wrist strap and I love it! The quote on it says: "The head is too wise, the heart is all fire" which the spoiler card says is from The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater. It's designed by Reverie and Ink and I think it's gorgeous. I'm definitely going to get good use out of this one.
This is my favorite sticker I've gotten in any box so far. It's Luna with her Spectrespecs from Harry Potter with the quote "You're just as sane as I am". As a fellow Ravenclaw and lover of Luna, I was super excited to put this one on the side of my bookcase with the rest of my stickers.
The last item before the book and it's related items was this cute little art print. It's a whale flying through space with tea things and books on its back. It's not from anything in particular and was designed particularly for OwlCrate by Aun-Juli Riddle. It kind of reminds me of a Doctor Who episode from early on in the 11th Doctor's tenure with the Star Whale. It's definitely going up on my wall with the rest of my art prints as soon as I get some more frames.
So the book this month was My Plain Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows. It's a retelling of Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte and its the second installment of sorts in the Lady Janies series by this trio of authors. I haven't read the first book in the 'series' but they're all stand alone books retelling the stories of famous women named Jane, the first being My Lady Jane, which is a retelling of the story of Lady Jane Grey. Like all OwlCrate books recently this is both an exclusive edition and came signed by the authors. The original cover is light blue and yellow instead of purple and green and I must admit I like the purple and green better, it seems more Gothic horror to me.
Like every month this came with a letter from the authors and an extra goody related to the book of the month. In this case it's a paper diorama craft you can color and put together inspired by Thornfield Hall of Jane Eyre. I'm definitely going to have fun coloring this (I love coloring).
The last thing in every OwlCrate box is a preview card for the next month's theme. August's theme will be Ruthless Royals and the back of the card says there will be an exclusive item from Craftedvan and a quick google search says they make magnetic bookmarks, magnets, and greeting cards so that should be fun!
Anyway that was everything in July's OwlCrate! I still adore this box and I'm definitely going to keep getting it. So until next time, Happy Reading!
-Richelle and Emma
No comments:
Post a Comment