Monday, June 15, 2020

Mid-Year Book Freak Out Tag

Hello Interwebs!

So going around on YouTube and Instagram and everywhere is the Mid-Year Book Freak Out Tag so here's my answers to it! I also made it a rule that for the book based ones (best book and best sequel specifically) I can only use a book once. 

1. Best book you've read so far in 2020: Thunderhead by Neal Shusterman

2. Best sequel you've read so far in 2020: Deathless Divide by Justina Ireland

3. New release you haven't read yet, but want to There's a ton since I haven't read most of the new releases that I've picked up so far but top of the list is definitely House of Earth and Blood by Sarah J Maas

4. Most anticipated release for the second half of the year Also a hard decision since there's a couple sequels coming out the rest of the year that I'm pretty excited about but I think the one I'm most excited about is The Nobleman's Guide to Scandal and Shipwrecks by Mackenzi Lee. This is the third book in her Montague Siblings series and I love this series so much so I'm very excited about this one that is supposed to come  out on December 1st. 

5. Biggest disappointment This is not my most disliked book of 2020 or the worst book I've read but it's the book I had the highest hopes for before reading it and it let me down so hard. It definitely was Year One by Nora Roberts, the first book in her dystopian series Chronicles of the One. I've read the author's other books and enjoyed them immensely but this one was just bad from beginning to end. 

6. Biggest surprise: Definitely The Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware. For me thrillers can be very hit and miss and most of the time I'll enjoy a thriller but I've never had one be a 5 star read for me but this book definitely was. I enjoyed it and all the twists and nothing seemed to be particularly forced in it. Definitely a surprise with how much I loved it. 

7. Favorite new author (debut or new to you): Neal Shusterman for sure. I finally got around to reading his Arc of a Scythe series and I've read two of the three books so far and I love these books and his writing so I will definitely be reading more in the future. 
8. Newest fictional crush: Rowan from the Arc of a Scythe series. I like that he's a fairly ordinary person, even below average and then due to the extraordinary circumstances he's placed in becomes a hero (vigilante hero but hero) and I love that about him. 
9. Newest favorite character: Probably Nina Hill from The Bookish Life of Nina Hill by Abbi Waxman. She's so much like me and I love characters I can relate to so strongly. Also after my reread of the first book and my reading of the second book I'd have to say Katherine Deveraux from the Deathless Divide series by Justina Ireland. I love that she's a badass zombie killing machine but still manages to keep her proper ladylike manners which are important to her. You can't go wrong with kicking ass in a dress!
10. Book that made you cry: I don't really cry during books but I think that the book that emotionally got to me the most was probably Deathless Divide by Justina Ireland. There's a couple character deaths and death scenes in the book that really got to me, especially based on how other characters deal with them. 
11. Book that made you happy: Beach Read by Emily Henry, this is a fun cute lighthearted bookish RomCom and it makes me very happy 

12. Most beautiful book you've bought so far this year (or received): Either The Library of Legends by Janie Chang or Valentine by Elizabeth Wetmore. These are both beautiful books with beautiful color schemes. 

13. What books do you need to read by the end of the year: So many books but the major ones I want to read before the end of the year are: House of Earth and Blood by Sarah J Maas;
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid, I've been meaning to read this since I read Daisy Jones and the Six last summer but I've never gotten around to reading it. 
King of Scars by Leigh Bardugo: the first book in her Nikolai Duology which is a book by one of my favorite authors about my favorite character and I'm not sure why I haven't read this yet. 

An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green. Again, I have no excuse for why I haven't read this yet and its sequel comes out in July. 

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne Collins. Again, I own this book, it's a new release, I loved The Hunger Games series (books and movies) and here it is unread. 

My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows. I read the second book in the Lady Janies "series" and I'm excited about the third book that just came out and I own TWO copies of this (paperback and kindle) and I still haven't gotten around to it. No excuse
Real Men Knit by Kwana Jackson; knitting shop RomCom I am all about this book. 

The Jane Austen Society by Natalie Jenner; a historical fiction about a Jane Austen book club. I love everything about this. 

So there it is, my Mid-Year Freak Out Book Tag. Hopefully I'll get around to some of these before the end of the year but who knows what'll happen between now and then. 

Happy Reading!
Richelle and Emma


No comments:

Post a Comment