Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Black Enough Review

 Hello Interwebs!

This is my second of many reviews to catch me up on September and October, at least for the most part. The book I read between this one and Here for It will be waiting until I finish the other two books in the series, which I am currently reading. 

So this review is for Black Enough: Stories of Being Young and Black in America by Ibi Zoboi (editor). This is a short story anthology with contemporary short fiction stories by YA authors of color that I found by accident on Libby. I read my way through the collection between September 18th and October 1st and I thoroughly enjoyed it. 


Honestly, I can't remember every short story I read in this book but I remember that I did enjoy all of them. These stories were a variety of narrators and situations but all undercut with the themes of being young people of color in America. Of the contributors I've read and enjoyed stories by just two of them: Justina Ireland and Ibi Zoboi. Justina Ireland wrote the Dread Nation duology which is one of my favorite duologies of all time, one I will definitely reread time adn time again. Ibi Zoboi wrote Pride, a book I got in an OwlCrate way back when which is a modern day retelling of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice if it took place in the hood and featured themes of racism and classism. I loved both of their contributions to this book as well. 

All these stories had different tones and writing styles but they all were engaging and I loved them. I highly recommend this story collection despite your race, religion, sexual orientation, or age. I gave it a very solid 4/5 stars. 

Happy Reading!

Richelle

No comments:

Post a Comment