Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Here For It

 Hello Interwebs!

This is my first review in a series of them so I eventually get caught up again...hopefully. This review is for Here for It: OR, How to Save Your Soul in America by R. Eric Thomas. 


This was the August (??) Read with Jenna pick. At least I believe it was the August pick, or rather, one of them. I read both the picks in August and I just didn't care for this one. It wasn't necessarily a bad book but it definitely wasn't for me. I definitely liked parts of the book. I liked the whole piece on Mr. Roger's Neighborhood and Lady Elaine Fairchilde, one of the antagonists in the Neighborhood of Make-Believe. He's right that Lady Elaine Fairchilde had mad LGBTQIA energy. 

To be fair at this point I don't remember a ton about this book so this review won't have much in the way of spoilers. I liked R. Eric Thomas's writing style and I thought he was very funny but at the same time I couldn't relate to most of his writing. He's a flamboyantly gay black Christian and I am...none of those things. I am a very white, biromantic, asexual, kitchen witch. I could relate to the parts about having to keep pieces of himself to himself to escape the judgement of his family/friends/community. I also related very strongly to his struggles while attending college. I also struggled with finding my way back in college and as a result I have an associates degree in paralegal studies that I obtained after....seven years at three schools and which I don't use in my currently occupation as a CNA. 

All in all this wasn't a terrible book. It wasn't a great one either for me but I don't think I was necessarily the intended audience for this one. I read this from August 22nd to September 15th 2020 and gave it a pretty mediocre 3 stars. 

Happy Reading!

Richelle

No comments:

Post a Comment