Tuesday, October 6, 2020

October Preview

 Hello Interwebs!

So after my mediocre September wrap-up and my huge I want to read all the things for the Fall TBR here's a more reasonable and excited October preview. Also, who am I kidding, this TBR is in no way reasonable but it is what it is. Anyway on to the TBR. 

The first section of my TBR for October are books I am currently reading, both of which I have now finished. 

  • The Rise of Kyoshi by F.C. Lee (2019). This is a YA fantasy based on the world of Avatar: The Last Airbender, which if you don't know I absolutely and 100% adore. Seriously my two favorite birthday presents were the Funko pop figures of Appa and the cabbage merchant from my in-laws along with The Promise omnibus graphic novel. So this is the story of Kyoshi, the avatar two cycles before Aang and how she became to be the avatar and embrace her destiny. This is my physical book. 


  • Black Enough: Stories of Being Young & Black in America edited by Ibi Zoboi (2019). This is a young adult contemporary fiction anthology about growing up black in America. I saw this as an eBook on Libby and I loved Pride by Ibi Zoboi which I got from an OwlCrate and she wrote one of the stories and edited the volume. 


The second section of my October TBR are books I physically have from the library or have on hold from the library. I don't know if the holds will come in anytime soon but I'll note that and the wait times. Also I'm aware that one of these things is not like the others but I really want to read the second book in the trilogy and maybe get the third book on its release date so deal with it. 
  • Sin Eater by Megan Campisi (2020). This is an eBook from Libby and one of the books I've been wanting to read since I first heard about it and it came out in April. It takes place in 16th century England and is about a young woman, May Owens, who is sentenced to be a sin eater for stealing a loaf of bread. The sin eaters are women sentenced to walk among others as silent pariahs to eat symbolic food to take on the sins of the dead to absolve them so they go to heaven. Then a food appears on a coffin representing a sin that the dead woman didn't confess to committing. The older sin eater refuses to eat it and is killed sending May into a mystery. 

  •  His Hideous Heart by Dahlia Adler, editor (2019). This is another young adult anthology but this one is a horror/mystery anthology consisting of Edgar Allan Poe retellings. Poe is one of my favorite short story and horror/mystery authors and I have been very excited for this, especially since the very first story is a retelling of one that I'm not familiar with. This book has 13 retellings of stories and poems as well as copies of the original stories. 

  • What Happens in Paradise by Elin Hilderbrand (2019). This is the second book in Hilderbrand's Paradise trilogy which is a women's fiction/mystery trilogy (the third book comes out in October) about a woman who discovered her husband's secret life after his death alongside his mistress in St. John in the Caribbean. I loved the first book and am very excited for the second two books in the series. 


  • Different Seasons by Stephen King (1982). This is a volume with four novellas, each one based around a season. This includes Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption, which is the novella that the movie Shawshank Redemption was based on; Apt Pupil; The Breathing Method; and The Body which was the novella that the movie Stand By Me was based on. These are two of my favorite Stephen King related movies so I'm looking forward to reading these books and then doing a movie rewatch for them both. 


  • The Institute by Stephen King (2019). One of Stephen King's most recent novels and one I've been waiting to read for ages. We follow Luke Ellis who is abducted by men in a black SUV after they murder his parents. He wakes up in "the institute" in a room that looks like his but without any windows adn all the other kids who live there have special talents. They are all in the "front half" but others have graduated to the "back half" where they aren't seen again. Luke becomes more and more desperate to escape but no one ever has. I love Stephen King and this one is one I've heard nothing but amazing things about. 


  • Docile by K.M. Szpara (2020). This is another new release for this year. This is a dystopian novel where there are people known as dociles who are kept for the uses of the holder of your contract to pay for debts or secure futures. The main character Elisha's family is ruined by debts passed on from previous generations. His mother never recovered from her time as a docile adn taking dociline, a drug taken by dociles to cope. So Elisha decides to try and erase the debt but is purchased by the man whose family is behind the drug dociline and the Office of Debt Resolution but Elisha's refusal to take the drug makes his owner determined to turn him into the perfect docile without it. This book sounds so good and its another one I saw recommended by Chelsea Palmer from the YouTube channel. 


  • The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware (2016). This is thriller by the same author that wrote The Turn of the Key which I read earlier this year and I've heard its one of her better liked ones. It follows Lo who is a journalist who writes for a travel magazine. She's offered a week on a luxury cruise with a handful of cabins. One night Lo sees a woman being thrown overboard but when all passengers are accounted for and the ship sails on like nothing happens so Lo ends up trying to convey that something is seriously wrong. I love travel based thrillers like Murder on the Orient Express and locked room murders so I have high hopes for this. 


  • The Only Good Indians by Stephen Graham Jones (2020). This is a horror novel about four Native American men who are being tracked by a vengeful entity because of an incident in their youth. This is a mix of horror and Native American folklore. I don't know a ton about this but I'm excited to read it. I have a hold on this from the library and the app promises it will be ready soon. 


  • Home Before Dark by Riley Sager (2020). This is the latest thriller by Riley Sager and one of the more popular ones. This is about a girl who lived in a so-called haunted house for a short time as a child before her family was forced to leave. Her father wrote a book about it and then she inherits the house and moves in, trying to uncover the truth. I also have a hold on this from my library but I'm very far down on the list so no idea when I'll read this. 

So those are the library books I have in my possession or holds on for October. I also have six books I own (or will shortly own) that I also would like to read this month. 
  • Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (1938). This is a gothic horror/mystery/romance novel about a girl who marries a widower and is sucked into a mystery involving his venerated late wife Rebecca. This is becoming a movie on Netflix starring Lily James so I'd like to read the book before watching the movie. 


  • One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey (1962). This is  about a man named McMurphy who is a patient at a mental hospital in Oregon that is ruled over by the tyrannical Nurse Ratched. This is a  classic movie starring Jack Nicholson and Netflix just came out with a miniseries starring Sarah Paulson by the creators of American Horror Story called Ratched. So I really want to reread this book before rewatching the movie and binging Ratched. 


  • Horrid by Katrina Leno (2020). This is a brand new YA horror release about a girl who moves into the house her mother grew up in after her father dies. She discovers a locked room that is a perfectly preserved child's bedroom and is drawn into a mystery and a possible haunted house. I am so excited for this one and want to get to it before Halloween. 


  • The last three books is a reread and then a read in preparation for the new book in the Practical Magic series by Alice Hoffman. 
    • Practical Magic (1995): this is a novel about the Owens family of witches. It was made inot a movie that I love and also intend to rewatch. I read this once years ago and I recently got a copy of the eBook on sale from Amazon so I'm looking forward to a reread. This is the first actual book in the series. 


    • The Rules of Magic (2017): this is the second book in the series and follows Susanna and her children who are trying to outrun the Owens family curse. I haven't read this one but I want to. 


    • Magic Lessons (2020): this is the latest installment in the series and a prequel novel that follows the origins of the Owens family of witches in the 1600s and the origins of the curse. I've already ordered this as my October Book of the Month and I am so excited to read it. 


So I also have my normal book clubs and their October picks. I don't really intend on reading these this month but I probably will at some point. 
  • His Only Wife by Peace Adzo Medie (2020). This is the Reese's Book Club pick for October. 


  • Leave the World Behind by Rumaan Alam (2020). This is both the Read with Jenna and the Barnes & Noble Book Club pick for October. 


Finally I have a whole list of new releases coming out in October that I'm excited about and may or may not pick up this month. 

October 6
  • The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab. This is a fantasy about a woman named Addie LaRue who makes a deal with the devil to get out of an arranged marriage: she is immortal but doomed to be forgotten immediately by everyone she meets. Until one day when she's remembered. This is my number one must anticipated book of the fall and I have already preordered my book in the exclusive OwlCrate box. 


  • Spoiler Alert by Olivia Dade. This is a chick lit romance novel and is described as a fun romantic comedy set in the world of fanfiction. It's about an actor Marcus Caster-Rupp who is also secretly a fanfiction writer. You also have April Whittier who also has a fanfiction and cosplay hobby. Then she goes viral on twitter over her own plus-size cosplay creation and Marcus takes her out on a date. This book sounds so cute and reminiscent of the Geekerella books by Ashley Poston so I'm down for more geek culture books. 


  • In a Holidaze by Christina Lauren. Another chick lit romance novel. We follow Mae whose life isn't going the way she wants and is going to be spending her last Christmas at her favorite place, a cabin in Utah where they've spent every Christmas since she was born. During a mental melt down while leaving after vacation there's a car accident and everything goes black before she wakes up on the plane to Utah to relive her holiday. This is basically a Christmas themed groundhog day-esque story by the authors of one of my favorite romance novel (The Unhoneymooners) and I'm so pumped!


  • Magic Lessons by Alice Hoffman. This is a historical fiction/fantasy novel in the Practical Magic series. I described it more in my TBR section above but I've already ordered this book as my Book of the Month selection.


  • Troubles in Paradise by Elin Hilderbrand. This is a chick lit/mystery/romance, that is the conclusion to her paradise trilogy. I read the first book in the trilogy in September and I'm planning on reading the second book this month and this is the conclusion which comes out on the 6th. 


  • Confessions on the 7:45 by Lisa Unger. This is a mystery/thriller following Selena Murphy who meets a beautiful stranger on the train while commuting home from her job on the train. The other woman, Martha, confesses she's stuck in an affair with her boss while Selena tells her that she suspects her husband is sleeping with their nanny. But then days later Selena's nanny disappears and she's pulled inot the mystery and who or what Martha was. Definitely a Strangers on a Train vibe from this one. 


  • The Lives of Saints by Leigh Bardugo. This is another spin off in Leigh Bardugo's Grishaverse. This is the red covered book given to Alina in the Shadow and Bone trilogy that details the lives of all the Ravkan saints, eventually including herself. I love Leigh Bardugo and I love her Grishaverse series especially so I'm very excited about this. 


October 13 
  • Simmer Down by Sarah Smith. This is another chick lit/rom com. This follows Nikki who had to quit her dream job to help her mother in their Filipino food truck in Maui. Then a food truck run by Callum James sets up next to her adn they end up competing in the Maui Food Festival to decide who keeps the coveted spot. A hate to love romance which I can be iffy on but this sounds cute and foodie. 


  • The Once and Future Witches by Alix E Harrow. This is a historical fiction/fantasy that takes place in 1893. It follows the Eastwood sisters who join the suffragists of New Salem and begin to turn the women's movement into the witch's movement. So witches plus women's suffrage historical fiction and I am down for this. 


  • Invisible Girl by Lisa Jewell. This is another mystery/thriller that centers around the disappearance of a young girl. We have Owen Pick who is in his 30s and living with his aunt and has been suspended from his job teaching geography after sexual misconduct allegations. On leave from his job he is sucked into the incel internet culture. Across from Owen is the Four family: Cate, a physiotherapist, Roan a child psychologist, and their teenaged daughter who accused Owen of following her home from the train station. The missing girl is Saffyre Maddox who was Roan's patient for three years and the last one to see her alive was Owen. I liked her book The Family Upstairs that I read last year so I'd like to read this one too. 


October 20
  • The Girl in the Mirror by Rose Carlyle. This is another mystery/thriller. This follows twins Iris and Summer. Iris has a rougher life and is envious of her twin sister Summer's never-ending good fortune including her perfect husband. Then she and Summer go to Thailand to sail the family yacht to the Seychelles and everything changes in the middle of the Indian Ocean when she finds herself alone. When she reaches shore, Summer's husband assumes Iris is Summer and she takes the opportunity to take her sister's golden life and works on becoming the first of her manipulative father's children to produce and "heir" and get the hundred million dollar inheritance. This sounds fantastic and I really want to read it. 

So that's my little October preview: library books, books I want to read, and books I am interested in getting. October is going to be a good month for books: both reading and buying, I just know it. 

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment