Hello Interwebs!
So the first month of 2021 is in the books and I had a very good reading month. Which wasn't so surprising as I ended up being out of work for almost three weeks due to COVID. I personally experienced nothing more than severe cold symptoms: cough, sore throat, congestion, etc. and now we are all completely healthy and I returned to work this past week.
So over the course of January I read a total of 6 books, all ones that were on my TBR. I DNF'd one book (technically as I read the first two chapters and decided life was too short for that). So here are my January books in order of completion.
- Undercover Bromance by Lyssa Kay Adams (The Bromance Book Club #2): read from 12.31.2020 to 1.5.2021; 4/5 stars
- Winter Solstice by Elin Hilderbrand (Winter Street #4); read from 1.5.2021 to 1.6.2021; 4.5/5 stars
- The Long Walk by Richard Bachman (Stephen King); read from 1.6.2021 to 1.13.2021; 3.5/5 stars
- If Walls Could Talk: An Intimate History of the Home by Lucy Worsley: read from 12.29.2020 to 1.19.2021; 3.5/5 stars
- Crazy Stupid Bromance by Lyssa Kay Adams (The Bromance Book Club #3): read frmo 1.13.2021 to 1.25.2021; 4.5/5 stars
- The Wife Upstairs by Rachel Hawkins: read from 1.25.2021 to 1.29.2021; 4/5 stars
My favorite book of the month was Crazy Stupid Bromance by Lyssa Kay Adams. It was an all around good time of a book with a really solid friends to lovers romance at the heart of it. My least favorite book was The Long Walk by Stephen King which while not a terrible book by any means (with a solid 3.5 star rating from me) it's definitely not one of my favorites and not a Stephen King novel I mean to reread or purchase for myself.
The one book that I DNF'd in January was Group: How One Therapist and a Circle of Strangers Saved My Life by Christie Tate. This was a memoir that I discussed in length last year when it was chosen for Reese's Book Club and I wasn't sure I was going to read it and I certainly wasn't going to buy it. I put in a hold for it at the library so I could at least see what it was like. I made it two chapters into the book and wasn't at all a fan of the author's writing style or her "voice" if that makes sense and I DNF'd it at that point.
Most of my January books were from the library with only The Wife Upstairs by Rachel Hawkins being one I own (my December 2020 Book of the Month pick). I'm very pleased with my reading habits in January and hope to carry that momentum into February.
I did buy several books in January, some were from Christmas money I received from my grandmother and most were on-sale Kindle books from Amazon, ones that are typically less than $5.
- The Duke and I by Julia Quinn (Bridgerton #1): Barnes & Noble paperback historical romance
- Fullmetal Alchemist 01 by Hiromu Arakawa (Fullmetal Edition): Barnes & Noble hardcover Manga
- There There by Tommy Orange: Barnes & Noble paperback literary fiction
- The House in the Cerulean Sea by T.J. Klune: Barnes & Noble paperback fantasy
- Tales from the Hinterland by Melissa Albert (The Hazel Wood #2.5); Barnes & Noble hardcover; YA fantasy/fairy tales
- Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah (Firefly Lane #1): Barnes & Noble paperback; historical fiction
- The Authenticity Project by Clare Pooley: Barnes & Noble paperback, contemporary
- The Dating Plan by Sara Desai: Book of the Month hardcover; romance
- Anxious People by Fredrik Backman: Book of the Month hardcover; literary fiction
- The Ruthless Lady's Guide to Wizardry by C.M. Waggoner; Unplugged Book Box paperback; fantasy
- Educated by Tara Westover: Amazon ebook; memoir
- The Little Book of Hygge: The Danish Way to Live Well by Meik Wiking; Amazon ebook; nonfiction
- Frontier Follies: Adventures in Marriage and Motherhood in the Middle of Nowhere by Ree Drummond; Amazon ebook; memoir
- Jane Austen at Home by Lucy Worsley; Amazon ebook; biography
- The Once and Future Witches by Alix E. Harrow; Amazon ebook; YA historical fantasy
- Girl, Woman, Other by Bernardine Evaristo; Amazon ebook; literary fiction
- West with Giraffes by Lynda Rutledge; Amazon ebook; historical fiction
- Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah; Amazon ebook; memoir
- Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates; Amazon ebook; memoir
- The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern: Amazon ebook; fantasy
- Uprooted by Naomi Novik: Amazon ebook; YA fantasy
- Miss. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (Miss. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children #1); Amazon ebook; YA fantasy
- Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys: Amazon ebook; YA historical fiction
- Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay: Amazon ebook; Nonfiction; essays
- All That Remains: A Life in Death by Sue Black: Amazon ebook; memoir
- A Long Petal of the Sea by Isabel Allende; Amazon ebook; historical fiction
- The City of Brass by S. A. Chakraborty (The Daevabad Trilogy #1): Amazon ebook; fantasy
- Longbourn by Jo Baker; Amazon ebook; historical fiction/retelling
- Eat a Peach by David Change; Amazon ebook; memoir
- For the Love of Books: Stories of Literary Lives, Banned Books, Author Feuds, Extraordinary Characters and More by Graham Tarrant; Amazon ebook, nonfictionAnd that's it for January: the books I read and the books I bought. I'm already excited for February and what that month will hold. Keep an eye out for my February preview as well as the couple reviews I need to complete for January.
Happy Reading!
Richelle





































No comments:
Post a Comment