Monday, July 13, 2020

Beach Read Review

Hello Interwebs!

I'm finally taking the time to do a bunch of my back logged book reviews. This series will be all the books I read in June plus the beginning of July. 

First up is Beach Read by Emily Henry. I read this from 5 June 2020 to 16 June 2020 and I loved it. This book got me going in the month of June and this is definitely one of my favorite books so far. As always spoilers will definitely exist in this review. 
So this book follows our main character of January Andrews who is a writer of romance/chick lit novels. We meet January as she's going to a lake house that her father owned. Her father has recently died and upon his death, January found out that he had been having an affair which had been conducted at this lake house and that her mother had known about it and accepted it. So with a book deadline looming at the end of the summer and no faith left in love, January has gone to this house owned by her father and used for his affair to clean it out for sale and hopefully be inspired to write her book. Then she meets the next door neighbor, August Everett, or rather re-meets him. August "Gus" was her rival back in college and is a successful author as well, of very serious literary fiction, the exact opposite of January's chick lit. The only thing they have in common is that they are both convinced the other doesn't like them and they're both suffering from writer's block. When they make each other's acquaintance again they propose a deal: he will write a chick lit novel and she will write a literary fiction novel and the one who has the first and most successful book release will be the winner. To accomplish this, every week one day they will have a chick lit training session on one day and a literary fiction training session on another. As the summer wears on Gus and January realize that their rivalry was entirely in their own heads and based off of misunderstandings and they discover that not only do they like each other but they just might be falling in love. By the end of the summer both books are written and the two are now a happy couple. 

This book was amazing. It was light, fluffy heartwarming chick lit and exactly what I needed. I've been reading such serious books lately and this is exactly the kind of book I needed. I dropped the serious books I'd been reading to read this instead and it broke me out of my reading slump. January was such a relatable character, one I could very easily see myself in. This book wasn't just a romance with her and Gus, although that was a great relationship starter, but it was also about her getting to know who her father really was, accepting that, and learning about her own place in it all. Towards the end she's convinced to read the letter her father left for her at the time of his death and that leads to a safe full of letters, one written for every birthday by her father. This inspired me to do the same thing with my son, write him a letter every birthday for him at some point in the future. All in all this was a great book and I gave it a solid 5/5 stars and will recommend it to literally everyone. In fact, I've already given my copy to my mom to read. 

So that's my review for Beach Read. Go read it and love it. 

Happy reading!
Richelle

No comments:

Post a Comment