Thursday, July 16, 2020

Birthday Book Haul

Hello Interwebs!

My 32nd birthday was this past weekend and for my birthday my mom took me to Barnes & Noble and bought me a book...then I bought some more since I had some birthday money. So most of these are from Barnes & Noble but there's one from Target in the pile as well as one from Amazon. 



So there's the stack of them. I got eight books total: 6 hardcovers and 2 paperbacks. I went into it knowing very little about four of them, aside from the fact that I'd heard about them and the author on booktube and one being the current Barnes & Noble book club pick. 

First up I have Love, Creekwood by Becky Albertalli (2020) which I ordered in hardcover from Amazon. 

This is a novella written in Albertalli's Simonverse series. I have all the other books in this series and I absolutely love them. This series started with Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda and then continued on with The Upside of Unrequited and Leah on the Offbeat. This new novella follows the characters we know from the previous books and is written via emails back and forth now that they've all gone their separate ways in college. I'm absolute trash for these books and I will probably be rereading the whole series before I read this new book. 

The second book I got in this book haul is Jo & Laurie by Margaret Stohl and Melissa de la Cruz (2020), which I got from Barnes & Noble. 



 . I was first lured in by this absolutely beautiful book and then picked it up when I read the description in the front cover. This is a young adult retelling (sort of) of Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. This book re-imagines what would have happened if after Jo turned down Laurie's marriage proposal, she had ended up reconsidering things and tried to win him back. Little Women is one of my favorite books. I love the 2019 movie and I actually like how everything wraps up in the original novel. I think Amy and Laurie are well-suited for one another and equally so that Jo and Professor Bhaer are also perfectly suited. With that being said, I'm very interested in what the story would look like if it had gone this way. 

Third is the current Barnes & Noble book club pick Florence Adler Swims Forever by Rachel Beanland (2020). 


This is a historical fiction novel that takes place in the 1930s in Atlantic City. Florence lives with her family in the apartment above their bakery while they rent out their house to vacationers during the summers. Florence comes home from college for the summer determined to spend the summer training to swim the English Channel but finds not only her sister's young daughter there but also Anna who recently immigrated from Nazy Germany. After a tragedy happens during one of Florence's training swims and she dies, her mother tries to keep the secret from her sister Fannie while she's on bed rest for her pregnancy and pulls everyone in the family and the household into a web of secrets and lies. It sounds like an interesting summer-based historical fiction novel that I'm looking forward to. 

THe fourth book is the one I picked up at Target while running errands (it was 30% off), 28 Summers by Elin Hilderbrand (2020). 
This is about a woman, Mallory, who gives her son, Link, instructions on her deathbed to call a number she had written on a paper in her desk drawer. A man named Jake McCloud answers. It unfolds that Mallory and Jake met in 1993 and their bond continued through their own separate lives until Mallory discovered she was dying. This seems like a nice summer novel and I love the cover so much. Everyone is always talking about Elin Hilderbrand's novels and the covers always seem like the best summer books. 

The fifth book I got was The Deep by Alma Katsu (2020), which I also got from Barnes & Noble. 

This is a historical fiction/horror novel that takes place on the Titanic and the Britannic and seems to involve some sinister presence haunting the ship. I read one of her previous novels, The Hunger, about the Donner party with a mysterious creature involved in the tragedy and really liked it so I've been wanting to pick this one up for a while. 

Next is a Sci-Fi novel called The City We Became by N.K. Jemisin (2020). 

This is a sci-fi/fantasy novel that takes place in New York City and is about a group of people who can suddenly sense bits of the soul of the city in their own lives. I don't really know much about this book but I know a lot of people on Booktube love N.K. Jemisin and her writing and have been raving about this book so I got it to give it a try. 

Then I have Summer of '69 by Elin Hilderbrand (2019).  

This was the very popular book by Elin Hilderbrand that was released last summer. It's a historical fiction novel that takes place in 1969 and is about the Levin family who spend the summer every year with the grandmother in Nantucket but things are changing. Only the youngest child, Jessie is around the others involved in protests and war while she's with her grandmother and her mother. Both the family and the country experience upheavals and I've heard this is a great summer novel and has a great cover. 

The last book I got is Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi (2016). 
This is a historical fiction novel about two sisters living in Africa, one marries an Englishman and becomes a privileged lady living on an estate while her sister ends up being sold into slavery. It follows the family's stories through the years to present day. It sounded really interesting and I am looking forward to getting into it. 

So that's it, all the books I got for my birthday last weekend. I am really excited about a lot of them, even if I picked them up on a whim. 

Happy Reading!
Richelle and Emma




No comments:

Post a Comment