Saturday, December 11, 2021

Bookmas Day 11: Holiday How-To

 Hello Interwebs!

The best things during the holidays are things one makes themselves. So in this post I'm going to post some of my favorite recipes  for things to make for yourself and others this holiday season. 

First up we have Christmas dinner. My household consists of me and my partner plus our two year old and our dog so we do small meals. This year we're doing stuffed Cornish game hens with roasted veggies for the main course; an apple-cranberry crumb tart for dessert, charcuterie and baked brie with crostini for snacking, and a cranberry mimosa and a cranberry-apple sangria for drinks. 

First up, the main dish is going to be a Stuffed Cornish Game Hen that is roasted in the oven with a stuffing made of chopped apples and cranberries with red potatoes roasted alongside it. When it comes to a small meal for two people a giant turkey doesn't work so great (just see our Thanksgiving leftovers for reference) so I found this recipe for Cornish Game Hens with an apple and cranberry stuffing that just sounds like the perfect holiday recipe. I found this recipe on Running to the Kitchen and it sounds delicious and seems to be very simple. 

To accompany this stuffed cornish game hen dish I'm going to prepare the Best Roasted Vegetable Medley from Delish which we made last year and loved. It's roasted Brussels sprouts and carrots with nuts and dried cranberries mixed in. It's delicious and also very simple so I highly recommend it as a side. 

For dessert I'm making an Apple-Cranberry Crumb Tart from The Big Book of Vegetarian by Kathy Farrell-Kingsley. I got this recipe book about a decade ago and the recipes in it are so good and this is a very simple tart recipe that I've made multiple times with apples and fresh cranberries that just exemplifies the holidays. 

For drinks I'm doing a Christmas Mimosa for breakfast/brunch which has apples, cranberries, grapes, pomegranates seeds, sparkling grape juice and sparkling wine/champagne. A perfect cocktail to start off Christmas morning opening presents and eating pastry and breakfast. I'm also planning on a Cran-Apple Sangria for later in the day during snacking for lunch and Christmas dinner. It has cranberries, apples, and the juice of both paired with white wine and seltzer for a refreshing Christmassy cocktail. 

Finally for hte bulk of the day between breakfast and Christmas dinner in the evening I'm planning on doing some baked brie with jam and nuts: probably my homemade sriracha peach jam and chopped walnuts paired with crackers and crostini; plus meat/cheese/veggies/fruit to nibble on. 

Other food items to make for Christmas include my favorite cookies and fudge made with crushed candy canes. We always get iether plain peppermint candy canes or the Hershey's chocolate mint candy canes and they both go wonderfully in cookies and fudge when Christmas is over. I especially like this Chocolate Peppermint Cookie recipe which uses crushed up candy canes. You can also do just regular sugar cookies with crushed candy canes which are also delicious. Or even Peppermint Candy Cane Fudge.  Honestly most baked goods with a neutral base or a chocolate base can benefit from the addition of candy canes, either crushed or whole such as sprinkled on top of cupcakes or mixed into cookie or brownie batter. 

Those are some of my favorite food things to make along with the recipe links to make them yourself. Let me know what you're making for Christmas and how it turns out. 

Happy Bookmas!

Richelle


No comments:

Post a Comment