Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Bookmas Day 8: How to Deal with Holiday Stress

 Hello Interwebs!

Today's Bookmas topic is all about how to deal with the stress of the holidays. If you are anything like me everything has to be perfect for Christmas: selecting gifts for my loved ones, the menu, the decorations. Everything has to be perfect or I feel like I've failed Christmas. So today's bookmas post is going to be all about how I'm broken and I am willing to bet that some of you are broken too and give you tips on how to unbreak yourself and your holiday. 

First, things don't have to be perfect in order to be great. This year we're spending Christmas in our new house for the first time. I went on a shopping spree to buy new décor for our new house and everything was meticulously planned. But I also picked up some other random things here and there and then on a whim I packed up my Funko Pops in order to make space for something else. I also felt so much pressure to do a nice Christmas dinner here at the house. Then my partner shared that just us being together after a big year is the best Christmas. And he's right. Things don't have to be perfect to be good. I can change my lights on my bookshelf on a whim. I can let Ryder touch the Christmas balls and put them on the wrong branches. 

Second, take time out for self-care. Self-care can take a hundred different forms but I personally like the items on this list from wholefully. There's 51 different things you can do to take care of yourself and very few (if any) cost any money. My personal self care looks like cheap feelgood body products (shower steamers, nice lotion, face masks) and reading. I love putting on background music on YouTube, especially ones with crackling fires and Christmas music, making myself a cup of tea and reading my afternoon away when I'm stressed out. 

Third, take time out for things that are just enjoyable at Christmastime, especially memory making moments. My family went to Zoo Lights at the Oregon Zoo while we were in the valley for Christmas. We went to both the Christmas parade and tree lighting as a family and then went to the Christmas parade in the neighboring city the weekend afterwards. We decided not to stress about finding somewhere in the woods to cut our own Christmas tree and bought one we could all be happy with. 

Finally, when in doubt do some small holiday task that you find relaxing. I bought Christmas presents early due to my cashflow so when I'm feeling stressed out by the holiday and I'm here at home I wrap presents. I put Christmas music or a show I like on TV and sit on the floor and wrap gifts. I find the entire process weirdly relaxing. I also bake and read holiday themed books and fill out Christmas cards. A friend of my family is in the hospital and will be there until the holiday at least if not beyond so I have filled out Christmas cards with jokes and puns that I'm sending daily until (and through) Christmas Day. These are the holiday processes I find relaxing and stress-busting. 

So that's all my tips for beating holiday stress. I hope you found something here to help you in the list. Sometimes I have issues with my own stress levels during the holidays but I also try to take the time to remember that the day will still be great even if I take time for me to relax. 

In bookkeeping news I'm still working on The Matzah Ball by Jean Meltzer. It's still really cute and really sweet and I like it a lot. 


And today's advent calendar Funko pop was....the vampire teddy bear. Who is just so super cute. 


Now that I know that the toys from Nightmare Before Christmas could be included in the calendar I'm hoping to get the ducky, which is my favorite of the toys from the film.


Have a happy and stress-free Bookmas!

Richelle

No comments:

Post a Comment