Hello Interwebs!
Merry Bookmas Day 4! Today we have a very similar entry to yesterdays but this gift suggestion list is specifically gifts for readers. There's a lot of things that readers like but this is specifically going to focus on things that are associated with reading: books, accessories and other things that enhance the reading time and experience.
First up, readers like books...a lot. Ask most readers and they will probably give you a whole list of things that are on their wish list and they will be more than happy if you buy them a book off their wish list. But most readers also have favorite books and authors and the absolute best thing to get from someone is another copy of a favorite. You can get all kinds of special editions of classics from a variety of sources. I personally like the Word Cloud Classics. The covers are soft and supple and easily cleaned and have quotes from the inside of the book. I got the full set of Jane Austen books last year for Christmas and I also own a word cloud edition of Frankenstein by Mary Shelley and H.P. Lovecraft's works.
Barnes and Noble also has a wide variety of different special editions in stock and you can find special editions of a lot of books, both classics and contemporary from a variety of sources. Along with special editions readers also love signed copies of their favorite books. Trust me on this one, we love that stuff.Second we like book subscriptions. A years worth of books sent straight to your door or straight to your devices. Of course, I recommend Kindle Unlimited for eBooks, they have a large selection of books available and they are always running promotions so you can get subscriptions for fairly cheap throughout the year. I also recommend Audible for audio books, you get a credit a month for use on their audio books and additional credits are reasonably priced.
For physical books I love Book of the Month. Every month you get to chose from five new release books and receive a hardcover for only $14.99 a month and add-ons are only $9.99. They always have a wide variety of genres and you can easily skip a month and resume when you want. Also good is Literati. This is a app that hosts a variety of book clubs run by a selection of luminaries. Each month you can pick the club you want to participate in and the tier of your membership, the higher includes the book as well as the app access while the other includes just the app access. Finally I highly recommend, Unplugged Book Box, which is a subscription where you get a surprise book as well as bookish and self-care items like lotions, bath bombs, candles, etc. You can take your pick of adult or young adult novels and in addition to their monthly boxes they also a myriad of themed special boxes throughout the year. You can't really go wrong with a gift subscription to any of these.
Next up is things directly related to books. Things to use while reading are always great. I like to keep a variety of post-it notes and tabs to mark things in my books without writing in it. Along with these are book journals (either dedicated book journals or blank journals) and fancy pens to annotate to your hearts content. Also to use with books book sleeves. You can put your book and your pen and sticky notes in them and keep them safe and together while on the go (I keep my book in one when I take it in my work bags). I like ones by Sew Happy Stitch Happy and Book Beau. Both come in a variety of sizes for all occasions. Book Beau also carries Book Beans which are little curved pillows to use while reading and cases for other devices like the Nintendo Switch. Finally bookmarks. You can never, never, never have enough bookmarks. I really like the magnetic bookmarks from BookedByBrenda: I have half a dozen of them and am ready for more. I also received a bookmark from BlindLibrary when I ordered one of the blind date with a book boxes and found them to be the perfect length and sturdiness for most of my books, hardcover or paperback. Everyone loves pretty bookmarks.
Finally we have bookish items to use or wear. For things to wear I absolutely recommend anything and everything from Out of Print. I have hoodies, t-shirts, and socks from them and they are all high quality and comfortable. There's a ton of books to choose from and more generic prints like library cards and read more books kind of prints. Litographs has shirts as well but also blankets, puzzles, pillows, and other useful items. I have a blanket, a puzzle, a pillow, a t-shirt and a tote bag from them and they're all beautiful. They feature an image from the book with the design made up of text from the book in a variety of colors. They're very high quality and beautiful for all readers. Finally Storiarts sells wearable accessories like headbands, fingerless gloves, scarves and hats. I have one of their headbands iwth a text design from Pride and Prejudice and it's comfortable and well made.
Also in the useful category are candles. I love candles, especially ones from Bath and Body Works but the best candle is a bookish one and my favorites I've received from book boxes are from the following small stores: Frostbeard Studios; In the Wick of Time; Novelly Yours; and Wick and Fable. All of these shops have candles in a variety of sizes from specific books as well as more generic bookish scents and they're all high quality and lovely.
Finally a great gift for the reader in your life is any gift that saves them time during chores and gives them more time to read. For this, I recommend meal subscriptions. My partner and I have been doing Hello Fresh for months now and we love it. It takes the planning and most of the shopping off our hands for meals. We just pop out a Hello Fresh bag and dinner is ready in under an hour with step-by-step instructions included. The three most popular meal planning subscriptions are Home Chef; Blue Apron; and Hello Fresh.
So there we are, my recommendations for gifts for the readers in your life. If you're still stumped as to the best thing to get your reader, you can get a gift certificate for nearly everywhere and no reader I know will turn down a gift card for Barnes & Noble, Amazon, or any other place you can buy books.
Finally I am still trying to finish up Comfort & Joy by Kristin Hannah, so far my reading in December is not going as well as I had hoped (this blog is taking up quite a lot of time at present) but I'm hoping in the next day or so.
Also today's Nightmare Before Christmas advent calendar surprise was Oogie Boogie! I could tell that it was him before I even opened the white plastic bag since I could see his neon green through the packaging!
Happy Reading and Merry Bookmas!
Richelle





No comments:
Post a Comment