Monday, December 6, 2021

Bookmas Day 6: My Wish List

Hello Interwebs!

Well, recently we've been talking a lot about all the things that I recommend getting various people for Christmas: nonreaders, readers, and for gift exchanges. Today I'm going to share what kind of things I have on my personal wish list for Christmas. It falls into a lot of the categories that I've brought up in the other gift suggestions. So without further ado we'll jump into it. 

First up are the books I've put on my wish list. First up people close to me have gotten links to Boulder Book Store from which you can order signed Stephen Graham Jones books. He's my favorite horror author and one of my absolute favorite authors of all time. In addition to the link I put the ones I'm most anxious to get to give people an idea of the books I want most from him.

Also on my wish list in regards to books are a couple boxed sets of favorite series. 
  • The Dark Tower Series by Stephen King: I own the full set of these in cobbled together paperbacks from Powells Used Books in Portland, Oregon. None of them match each other, some of these are those weird tall paperbacks that I absolutely hate and I'd love a matching set of the novels. 

  • Women Are Some Kind of Magic series by Amanda Lovelace. This is a trilogy of poetry books written by my favorite poet. I've read all three of these books but I only own the first one and the other two are the only ones of her books that I don't own. 

  • The Land of Ingary Trilogy by Diana Wynne Jones. This is the trilogy that begins with the book Howl's Moving Castle, the basis for the Studio Ghibli movie. I love the movie Howl's Moving Castle and it was one of my favorite books as a kid and still is. This boxed set is so beautiful and I really want it on my shelves to share with my son some day. 

I also have some special editions (and other editions) of books I love or want. There's also some books that are related to things I love in other forms or by authors I adore. 
  • Eat What You Watch: A Cookbook for Movie Lovers by Andrew Rea. This is the second cookbook from YouTube channel creator Binging with Babish. Iown his other cookbook and I want this one for my collection as well. 


  • Gyo: The Death-Stench Creeps by Junji Ito. This is another horror manga by one of my favorite manga authors. This is one of two of his books that are very popular but I don't own. 


  • Tomie by Junji Ito. This is the other super popular Junji Ito book that I don't own, enough said. 


  • Death Note Volume 1 by Tsugumi Ohba. This is another manga that one of my favorite Animes was based on. I specifically want to collect the Black Editions, which my Barnes & Noble is always sold out of the first one so I put it on my list. 


  • Carry On by Rainbow Rowell. This is the first book in her Simon Snow trilogy and the only one I own in paperback versus hardcover, so I'm asking for this one in hardcover to match my other copies. 


  • Birthday by Koji Suzuki. This is the fourth book in the Ring Cycle which is what the movie The Ring is based off of. The Ring is one of my all time favorite horror movies (although I'd argue it is more of a supernatural thriller rather than horror) and this is the only book that has been translated into English that I don't already own. 


I also have book ajacent things and things for my bookshelves. I have asked for a variety of Funko Pop figurines including three from Fullmetal Alchemist, an anime that I absolutely binged watched and am now plowing through the manga. And then because my favorite animated character of all time is Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh so I also have the 2021 holiday Eeyore on my wish list. And finally because I loved the movie Black Widow and I love actress Florence Pugh (and I already have a Natasha Funko), I have a Yelena pop on my list. 

In addition, I also put a bookcase and a rolling cart (like a library cart) on my list. And considering hte size of the box sitting in my living room I'd say my lovely partner already purchased the former for me.


 

The rest of my items are either cozy things, games, or miscellaneous things I don't want to buy for myself. I have a black hoodie on my list that says "Redrum" on it from The Shining. A weighted blanket, jackets, a hooded robe, plaid sneakers and some other cozy things to wear. I also have some of the patterned/decorative Nordic ware pans on my list. I already own one with wheat and pumpkins on it and I've used it to great delight of my family. I also have some accessories for my Kitchenaid Mixer that I've been wanting to get 

Finally I have a couple horror themed games since I love both horror books and movies. One is a horror trivia game. 


And then I have all the expansions for Alice Cooper's Horror Box on my list as well. Horror Box is structured very similarly to Cards Against Humanity with the prompt card and then the answer cards for everyone to play but everything has a horror theme. 

So that's everything I have on my list for Christmas this year, which are similar items to what I suggest for others as well. 

Today's Funko pop from  my Advent calendar was a little Jack Skellington wearing his pajamas with a tiny book that says "The Scientific Method". It's from the point in the movie where he's researching Christmas before coming to the decision to make Christmas himself. 

Finally, I finished Comfort & Joy by Kristin Hannah. It was a good solid, Hallmark movie of a book. I enjoyed it quite a bit and will try to do a full review in the next few days. 


I'm getting ready to start If the Fates Allow by Rainbow Rowell which is a Christmas themed short story about the character Regan from Fangirl (which is my all time favorite book). 


After that, since it is only about a hundred pages so should go really quick I'm planning on reading The Matzah Ball by Jean Meltzer. This is a holiday romance about a Jewish woman who secretly writes Christmas Romances and then is tasked to write a Hanukkah romance so she reconnects with a guy from her past as she gets back into Hanukkah. It sounds super cute and I'm looking forward to reading it. 

So that's it for Bookmas Day 6. Tomorrow we'll have another book tag before we launch into a few days of slightly heavier topics. 

Happy Bookmas!

Richelle

No comments:

Post a Comment