Sunday, December 5, 2021

Bookmas Day 5: Ideas for Gift Exchanges

 Hello Interwebs!

So for the fifth day of Bookmas we're going to be talking about gift exchanges. This isn't about the normal family and friends buying each other personal gifts. This is specifically gift exchanges that are novelty in some way (secret Santa, white elephants, etc.) or exchanges with acquaintances. 

There are four principles I follow with gift exchanges: 1. know your audience/recipient, 2. quirky/fun, 3. sets, 4. consumables. 

1. Know Your Audience/Recipient: you will buy very different presents for a gift exchange with coworkers versus friends, versus family. It's important that you know who the recipient or potential recipient of your gift is going to be. For a Secret Santa you usually get a list of things people might like. Know the vibe of your audience and things that might be acceptable in that setting: for friends know what kinds of things are popular in your friend group (for example, mine like food and geeky things and games-both video games and board games) and what things might be appropriate for an office (coffee/tea/cocoa and mugs are good choices). 

2. Quirky/Fun: when in doubt pick things for gift exchanges that are novelty in some way. Pick a funny coffee mug or some kind of fun kitchen item or a singing stuffed toy. People will forgive a multitude of gift sins if the present is fun and cute and quirky. 

3. Sets: sets of related items are always a hit. If you get a beverage then get a mug to go with it, or get a mug with a gift card for Starbucks. If you get a kitchen item get a little cookbook or baking mix. Get someone a novelty wine glass? Get a small novelty bottle of bubbly wine to accompany it. Always get things that can be used together. 

4. Consumables: If all else fails get people something they can eat/drink. There is no one on the planet who will not appreciate some kind of candy or coffee or cocoa or tea, especially Christmas themed ones. When in doubt get a fancy box of Christmas chocolates, or ribbon candy, or peppermint hot cocoa. 

If you follow these principles of gift exchange giving you cannot go wrong. Next,, as I know multiple workplaces that do ornament exchanges always go for unique when buying ornaments. Cost Plus World Market and Target both usually have quirky ornaments that are perfect for ornament exchanges. The funnier the better when it comes to ornament exchanges. 

My friend group always does a white elephant style gift exchange and this year I had found a weird (almost disturbing) oven mitt at Rose City Comic Con. So to go with it I purchased a geeky cookbook and light up lightsaber chopsticks. In this we have three of the four principles (and kind of the consumable one since you can make/use this for consumables): it'll work quite well with the audience I'm buying for (my friend group), it's quirky and fun, and it is a set that can be used together. 

So those are my words of wisdom on buying gifts for gift exchanges. 

In other housekeeping Bookmas news today's Advent Funko Pop was Sally! I'm a little surprised I didn't get a proper Jack or Sally until day 5 but she's super cute so I'm pretty excited about it. 

And I'm still reading Comfort & Joy. I'm enjoying it but I have been busy so far this weekend with a Christmas Parade, getting the dog groomed, shopping, getting a tree, decorating said tree, and wrapping the first round of presents. 

Tomorrow's post is my own personal wish list, things that I really like for Christmas and am hoping to find under my own tree. 

Happy Bookmas!

Richelle

No comments:

Post a Comment